My truck

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave76

Reaction score
Just looking for some ideas, I have a 90 GMC sierra 2500 6 lug, 305 5 speed, with 31,000 original miles. My buddy has a 92 chevy in bad shape, that he is sellin, he's offering me his trans for a swap, he has the granny low 5 speed, (L,1,2,3,4,R) mine is a regular strait 5 gear. Its a nice trans and I would like it but it has 170,000 miles on it. What would you guys do?

i dunno man...what kind of miles are they? highway or offroad...etc. and what kind of stuff was he doin with his truck? if it wasnt beat to hell then i'd go for it but if he was goin off road or juss beating on it then say no deal...thats my way of lookin at it anyway.. ;)

Wel he bought the truck like 6 years ago, with 110,000 on it, so I could tell you this, we know it had a plow on it at one time, I forgot to tell ya it's a 4.3 a V6, so doubt the motor would kill the trans. Just 170,000 is a lot of miles, even if its highway.

Yeah, I agree, 170k is sketchy enough, even if the truck was taken care of and wasn't used for heavy work. Most likely if the rest of the truck is in bad shape, the trans didn't get any kind of special treatment either. I'd say it's a miracle it lasted this long. A trans that works good with only 31k on it, vs the 170k trans, I would need a whole lot more than a low gear to justify that swap.

no offense to anyone, but i'm not big on domestic vehicles. 170k is way past its prime if you ask me

Back