my first rebuild 87 350

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yfm350mt

Reaction score
my first rebuild 88 350

so my warrior has been smoking for a while now and i have just been putting more oil into it. well now my buddy is rebuilding his blaster so i am going to do my top end to so we can learn a bit of new stuff together. tonight i got the head and the jug off the motor. i left the motor in the frame, dont know if i'll take the rest out to reassemble or not, it was kind of a pain. the exhaust kept getting in the way. anyway, i cant tell what was wrong with it, one valve was black and crusted with carbon didnt look like it was seating at all. the rings move freely but i have another friend coming to look at them tomorrow. i will post some pictures when i get a chance. im not rebuilding the rest of the quad right now, ill make it pretty later on just want the smoke to stop. for now do you guys think i should remove the rest of the motor or should it go back together ok in frame? thanks for reading, i'll post progress as i make it

Last edited:
I'd take the engine out of the frame. But if its only doing that on startup, it's your valve seals. Not the piston and rings. While you got it apart go for a new piston, rings, bore, valve seals and hone along with a new timing chain and you will be worry free for a long time.
Since this is your first time rebuilding, I'm sure all of us will take extra care walking you through. Post up some pics!

Do everything Alex said. You may not need to have the cylinder bored, but, until it is inspected and measured, you are only guessing. Wiseco and JE are your pistons of choice. I'm a big Wiseco guy, but, after having seen a few JE pistons in person, they are a much nicer piece. They only offer them in std. bore, and .080" over stock (366cc). That being said, you cannot go .020" or .040" over stock with the JE. You should also install an oil cooler, just use the search function for oil cooler mods. There are only 2, not that hard to choose.

CIMG5144_zpsda812753.jpg
CIMG5142_zps6a71e2e6.jpg
CIMG5141_zps7485b9f6.jpg
CIMG5140_zpsea4692e3.jpg
CIMG5139_zps0daf36d1.jpg
CIMG5138_zps0e690500.jpg

really think i should have washed it before i started but it was a spur of the moment tear down.

Leave the drain plug out and pour some diesel onto the crank and wash the crankcase out. After you do that, pour a quart of oil through it. That will clean in out pretty well.

my jug is off to the machine shop. they are busy so they said it would take about 3 weeks to be done. i guess while i wait i can try to figure out why my reverse light wont turn off, and make this mess look presentable
CIMG5145_zps0434a7b0.jpg

Back