My D.I.Y. Airbox lid Mod, step inside.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barncat

Reaction score
So this is what my brother and I came up with:
IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

Credit goes to my brother, as he came up with this for his LTZ400.
Since we are sheetmetal workers, it was only natural for us to design our own.

The ring is "custom made", out of 28ga(or 26 I don't remember) galvanized steel. The material on mine is sheer nylon(bought at Wally world), folded 4x.
I cut my hole, 4x6, laid the material down, and screwed the holder on.
I then went and cut it with a razor, and melted the remaining nylon with a pen torch.

As far as I can tell, it is a good filter, and my brothers(his is 3 ply) has resisted water. The screws won't strip, as they are tapered sheetmetal screws.

For the snorkel, I just rubber banded some remaining fabric to the mouth of it.

First trip out, and I have noticed a substantial gain in power. It's not gasping for air like before. The one thing I have noticed is, it seems to back fire (may have done before, don't remember). when I let off W.O.T..

I figure with this setup and some panty hose(or maybe this new Outerwears Pre-Charger I accidently ordered) I'll be fairly sand proof.

I know I need to get into the carbs still, but I have noticed a HUGE improvement in power delivery.

I would be willing to make a few up for members here if interested. It may not be "race ready" But for a thrifty bastard like me, I'll bet money it's just as good, at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
No, it's like the material used in warm up clothing. It's a little more porous.
I had intended on using the outerwears, but the one I ordered is for a K&N filter. I hate to cut it down, so this will be the standby till I get the right one.

The whole thing took me a half hour or so. I'll make some up in my spare time. All you'll need to do is pay for shipping.

I'll need to know the size of the whole, and the MAXIMUM outside dimension the plate can be.

The whole thing took me a half hour or so. I'll make some up in my spare time. All you'll need to do is pay for shipping.

I'll need to know the size of the whole, and the MAXIMUM outside dimension the plate can be.

Wow that would be so awesome!!

I'll add, you'll need to buy the material(color of your choice). I'll make the plate easy enough. I could do the whole lid, if it was sent to me, with the material. Just pay shipping both ways.
It WILL work with the outerwears as well, But, because I suck, I had to do this for the time being.

Hey, I know it's off topic but whats all the ways to richen up your bike? mine backfires ever time I let the engine slow me down.

Jets will be the first thing. I'm getting ready to start my jetting debacle, here in the next few days.

also check the air cut off valve on the side of the carb, (covered by a small plastic circular cover with three screws) when that works properly it close the pilot jet to richen the mixture (prevent afterburn) from th throttl closing. i know mine has a tear in it and pops occasionly

Well the pilot is the long needle or is that the needle vaulve? lol but never heard of what hawkster is talking about. plus i did go up a jet size and a half when i put my hmf on. Then messed around with the air fuel screw..still backfires though.

I'm about 99.9999% sure this just started tonight, since I changed the lid. I need to get into my carbs, and rule out jets.

Appreciate the tip though, and I will look at that if the decel pop continues.

Well the pilot is the long needle or is that the needle vaulve? lol but never heard of what hawkster is talking about. plus i did go up a jet size and a half when i put my hmf on. Then messed around with the air fuel screw..still backfires though.

That long need is just called the needle. A pilot jet looks like a mini version of the main jet and is in the bowl area to.

Nice craftsmanship man. Sell this on ebay lol it looks perfect like it was store bought and looks much more durable than anything similar to that I've ever seen.
I dont get how you said the screws wont strip though. Did you just screw them into the plastic? Or did you hold some metal on the backside to screw to and kind of clamp it on there... ?
Oh wait I looked again, nuts & bolts w/ washers?

Last edited:
Back