My 87' Warrior Re-build

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwrape

Reaction score
Well, I have already posted this on Bluetraxx.com forum but not here. I don't want to re-write the entire thing so I am going to just post up my posts in order of how it happened. Right now i am at the end of my re-build and just have a few little things to finish before I can officially take it riding all day and feel comfortable about it.

I have stripped down my 87-89 Warriror, I don't know what year it is. Anyways, I have stripped it down and am going to paint the frame black to help match up with the 2000 Blue Plastic I'm getting today.

The frame is currently red and silver. The previous owners had sprayed silver over the red frame. It looks like crap now but I figure a nice black would cover the mess and make it look cleaner and hide the old bikes inperfections.

What paint is the best for sticking and durability.

Prep: I plan to de-gunk the frame with a degreaser and then simple green, maybe purple magic if needed. Then pressure wash the dirty and grease off. After it dries I will sand the spots I can get my hands into.

Here is all the pics of it I have right now. These are pics from when I bought it and now that I have it stripped down.

Warrior1.jpg

Warrior2.jpg

WarriorTaredown1.jpg

WarriorTaredown2.jpg

Well I got it all painted up and actually, although I have the new 2000 plastic on it I don't have pics of that yet. It's looking good but I am still waiting on the correct A-Arms. The ones I bought from a 2000 model didn't fit my 87 frame. Different design.

Here are the pics I have right now.
Warriorrepainted1.jpg

WarriorRepainted5.jpg

WarriorRepainted2.jpg

Here is a couple pics of the 2000 A-Arms so I can re-sell them on Ebay but you can see the blue plastic on the Wariror

WarriorA-Arms3.jpg

WarriorA-Arm2.jpg

The 2000 A-Arms didn't fit my 87' Frame. So I sold them with the 2000 calipers that wouldn't fit my 87' Spindles for $130 and bought new ball joints for $99 shipped
WarriorBalljoints.jpg

and new bushings for $24.95 so I came out even or ahead really because I paid $70 for the 00' A-Arms and calipers locally.

It's all coming together nicely.

I also got a new Clutch lever from a Banshee to replace the original Warrior one that had all that crap on it. This is a simple one lever perch. $11.79
WarriorClutch.jpg

I also got new rear tires 18x11x8's for my ol' Douglas Bead Locks for $60 shipped

Warriorreartireas.jpg

Got new front tires 21/7/10's for $83.35 shipped

Warriorfronttires.jpg

Got 2000 model shocks for $28.94 shipped

Warriorshocks.jpg

New Shock Covers for $14.99 shipped. Wanted Blue but they didn't have them in Blue at the time. I still might buy them in blue later.

WarriorShockcovers.jpg

Got the correct 87' Front brake assembly for $41.04 shipped

Warriorbrakes.jpg

And I also bought a box full of Warrior Nuts and bolts to have as I re-assemble or things rattle off for $24.79

WarriorBagofnuts.jpg

So Grand total of $558.85 in parts and $750 for the bike to begin with. A few cans of spray paint, paint stripper, Carb cleaner and a solenoid that I didn't really need and I've got roughly $1350 in it. I guess i should have bought a 00' or 01' in decent shape. LOL! But I enjoyed rebuilding it and will have more pride in it when I say it's a 87' and it looks like a 00' or 01'.

Edit: Woops! I sold the old 2000 A-Arms and Calipers for $147, so that would bring the total down to $1203... Getting better every minute

Edit2: Have to add a couple more things to the list.

Chain slide for $9.99

f44d_1.JPG

and new rear axle bearings and seals $21.74 shipped

476d_1.JPG

So I'm up to $1234.65 into this project. Boy had no idea about all this when I bought it. But as it was said, I'll know everything is done right once I get it back together.

OMG! I went to take the rear wheels off to change the tires and found that the rear axle bearing s are shot too.

This thing is a basket case. By the time I am done it will be completely new. I beginning to think that the only thing good on this thing is the motor.

Here are last night s pics.

The wheels arehad stickers on them saying James Lucky or Lucky James. I thought these were Douglas Bead locks.

After taking the beadlocks off I found they used to be anodized yellow, but then were painted red along with the tires and now I have stripped them back to the aluminum and prolly will leave them raw metal or painte them like a graphite color or something.

IM002878.jpg

IM002879.jpg

It's covered in Sheetrock dust from the workers sanding my basement and there is no door on my shop area
IM002880.jpg

Here is the most recent pics of it yesterday,.
WarriorRebuilt.jpg

I have the front suspension and brakes on

WarriorA-Arm2-1.jpg

Added a R.A.D. Axle Bearing Carrier
WarriorCarrier2.jpg

WarriorCarrier1.jpg

The old one I found out was ripped and re-welded
WarriorCarrier.jpg

Ok, so I got my Carrier and it mounted up perfectly and the bearings are in perfect shape and I install the axle and mount the right rear wheel and give it a spin. THE AXLE IS BENT. I can't catch a break. This thing is amazing how bad of shape it's in.... Ridiculous.

Anyways i get on Ebay and found a DuraBlue +4 axle for $126.67 shipped.
Add that to the total now to be $1427.32, hopefully that's it. Anymore and it becomes a money pit. At least let me get it up and rolling again. The Quad Gods are not liking me right now for some reason.

WarrirorAxle2.jpg

WarrirorAxle1.jpg

I bought a used Dura Blue Axle and it's a nice axle but it seems there are some spacers or something I am missing to complete the install.

First, on the left side beside the sprocket hub there is about a inch and a half between the hub and where the C clip mounts to keep the axle centered. What's missing

DuraBlue1.jpg

Second, when I went to mount my wheel hubs it looks like the splinded part is about an inch too long. Am I missing a spacers there as well?

DuraBlue2.jpg

Third, the nut on the end of the axle is WAY larger than stock, where do I find those?

Thanks for your help in advance, this is the last things I need to get my Warrior back on all 4's

Ok, here are pics of it when I got it 3 months before
This is not me in the pic, it's my father
Warrior3.jpg

Warrior1.jpg

Warrior2.jpg

Here it is now
NewWarrior1.jpg

NewWarrior2.jpg

Well Got the Axle nuts 14 - for $19.94 shipped. Gonna sell the extras to make some of my money back on Ebay.

DuraBlueNuts.jpg

New Ignition switch $6.95 shipped
WarriorIgnitionswitch.jpg

Bought a front 15T sprocket for $13.90 shipped

Bought a rear 38T sprocket for $23.90 shipped

Warriorrearsprocket.jpg

Chain $24.95

WarriorChain.jpg

Newer Jetted Carb with Extra Jets for adjusting $100 Shipped

Newer model Throttle Cable to fit Newer Carb $16.49 shipped

WarriorThrottleCable.jpg

New Grand Total of $1633.45 for this rebuild of my 87' Warrior. Hmmm, Don't know that I would ever get my money back out of this thing at this point. If the motor ever blows I'm just gonna stick another in it since the entire bike is almost new. LOL!

Sucks about the axle......I was in the same boat, some kid soled me a rappy350 g-force axle when i did my original rebuild........anyways about your dura-blue.......1.) you sure that's for a warrior? reason I ask is because the C clamp is so far from the sprocket housing. 2.) Yes you are missing all the spacers, there should be end sleeves and the nuts? You might have to contact dura-blue for those.

Yea, it's for a Warrior. I have a new Posi Lock nut that takes up that space
DuraBlue1.jpg

Looks like this
WarriorPosiLok.jpg

It's on there now and works good as far as i can tell. I am still missing a spacer on the disc side and the sleeves for the outer hubs. Durablue was supposed to ship them to me but I have never received them.... prolly have to re-order

$65.98 forgot to add that in there and the nerf bars for $65 shipped. New total $1764.43 and climbing

WarriorNerfBars.jpg

awesome build. I still can't believe all the prices you got those items for. totally amazing

Back