Motorcycle Riders

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbthreat

Reaction score
Just got my motorcycle license today! Stoked on that. Planning to get a bike (SV650) in late August/early September. Need something that is more fuel effecient than my truck, and of course more fun ;D.

So, anyone on here ride a bike as well? If so, what kind?

Don't get an SV650. My buddy has one, and it's really not that great of a bike. My other buddy's 86 honda interceptor is faster, lighter, has smoother power delivery, and gets better gas mileage, and it's 20 years older...

Plus no matter what you do, the SV650 will never sound real good with that 2 cylinder in it. I'm not really sure what the appeal of this bike is to anybody, in my opinion it doesn't even look that good because of the rear fender.

So it's just my 10 cents, but if you're going to go out and buy a bike that new, get something with a 4 cylinder in it.

Anyways, I've wanted to get a bike for years, but it hasn't happened yet. I really want a RZ350 because they're so different from any other sportbike out there, but they probably get worse gas mileage than my car does, because they're a 2 stroke.

I wasn't really planning on getting a superbike either, but for the last couple months i've really been eying up a triumph T-595 thats for sale at the local powersports shop. Probably not that great of a choice for a first bike though but I really want it and they're only asking $4,500 for it.

I kinda like the sound of a twin sport bike. I would look at the new ninja 650r. I really like that bike.

Don't get an SV650. My buddy has one, and it's really not that great of a bike. My other buddy's 86 honda interceptor is faster, lighter, has smoother power delivery, and gets better gas mileage, and it's 20 years older...

Plus no matter what you do, the SV650 will never sound real good with that 2 cylinder in it. I'm not really sure what the appeal of this bike is to anybody, in my opinion it doesn't even look that good because of the rear fender.

So it's just my 10 cents, but if you're going to go out and buy a bike that new, get something with a 4 cylinder in it.

Anyways, I've wanted to get a bike for years, but it hasn't happened yet. I really want a RZ350 because they're so different from any other sportbike out there, but they probably get worse gas mileage than my car does, because they're a 2 stroke.

I wasn't really planning on getting a superbike either, but for the last couple months i've really been eying up a triumph T-595 thats for sale at the local powersports shop. Probably not that great of a choice for a first bike though but I really want it and they're only asking $4,500 for it.

Everyone has their preferences. I am just a huge fan of v-twins (Ducati anyone?) just in the fact that they have lots of torque. Not looking for any crazy four cylinder that revs to the moon and can do 100 in first gear. Lets face it, I'd kill myself cause I'd push it too much :-/. The SV650 tops out at 119mph and since its naked (unfaired) I'm not going to want to sit at a high speed anyway. Besides I like riding upright, not crunched over and didn't want to get a cruiser, and it handles fairly well. I've seen lost of guys use them for track bikes, of course those are the carburated models.

The rear does look goofy but with a fender eliminator they look damn sexy imho. Kind of like a Ducati-light ;D Yeah, I looked at the Ninja 650r, but I didn't fit. Kind of hard to find middle weight bikes that fit my 6'3" frame. But the sv fit me perfectly, gets good mileage, is a good beginner bike, and won't kill me on insurance rates.

Appreciate the input YamaRider, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and they are hard to find out here in California, cause nobody gets rid of them, not even the earlier models, and when they do they don't stay long. But you are right that the Honda Interceptor is a good bike; I will not deny that. Best of luck on finding a bike though. Speaking of Triumphs, I thought that the older models had a lot teething problems and weren't known for reliability. I know the new ones are supposed to be awesome and those Triumph 675 Daytonas are gorgeous :eek: Something cool about Brit bikes, not really sure why.

WNK: What kind of bike do you have?

I've never really rode motorcycles at all but when I turn 18 I'd really like to get a street bike. Dont know a lot about them but I kinda like the looks of the naked bikes, on a show called super bikes I think they use the term "street fighter" for the naked bikes.

I've had several sportbikes and my last one just about killed me, R-1. Not that I actually wrecked it, but lets just say my last scare was a little much. Now I'm all about slow and low and my Harley now takes care of that. I think an SV650 would be a great starter bike.

I've had my license and my bike for a while now
I ride a 1983 Yamaha Seca 550R, its in mint shape. Excellent bike, good power, good on fuel.
100_1510.jpg

I ride 1988 suzuki katana 600. I just got it about a month ago. The mods done to it are a 4 into 1 yoshimura exhaust, 4 clamp on k&n's (which are falling apart so i need to replace them), and some other minor stuff, plus what could be done to the motor that i dont know about. It runs exceptionally well. I bought it needing work, so far ive put a chain and sprockets on it and new plugs, now i need to get new mirrors, which are ordered, and rear brake pads. Also the front brake rotors are warped a little, anyone know any fix? Im think ill lay them down and hit them with 80 grit sandpaper on a jitterbug for a while.... hopefully that will take some of the vibration out.

I had an 01 SV650 and rode it for 7000 trouble free miles, the guy who owns it now just turned over 12,000. Its a great bike and I never got less than 50 mpg. I rode a Yamaha R6 with all the mods and above 9000 rpm it flat out smoked my SV650 but below that it was sloooow. If you just want to ride and learn do not get a small (600cc) 4 cylinder, they dont have much torque and are slow unless you rev the **** out of them. With a twin you arent constantly shifting to stay in the powerband and you can focus more on the road and other drivers (which can save your life). Dont buy a 4 cyl. unless its a 1000cc. The SV was way easier to ride than any of the small bore sport bikes I tried. Unfortunately I promised the wife and my mom no motorcycles unless I get cancer or some other fatal disease, at that point its a new Hayabusa and a Harley Softail. I still have all my riding gear just in case. By the way dont ride without a helmet, armored jacket, armored pants and boots, these will prevent alot of unnecessary and expensive bills. I dropped my bike pulling into a parking lot and if I just had jeans and a t-shirt it wouldve required a trip to the emergency room instead of just a little pain. Just pretend youre invisible and everyones out to get you and you will be fine. Take a class and get a license while youre at it, its well worth it.

I had an 01 SV650 and rode it for 7000 trouble free miles, the guy who owns it now just turned over 12,000. Its a great bike and I never got less than 50 mpg. I rode a Yamaha R6 with all the mods and above 9000 rpm it flat out smoked my SV650 but below that it was sloooow. If you just want to ride and learn do not get a small (600cc) 4 cylinder, they dont have much torque and are slow unless you rev the **** out of them. With a twin you arent constantly shifting to stay in the powerband and you can focus more on the road and other drivers (which can save your life). Dont buy a 4 cyl. unless its a 1000cc. The SV was way easier to ride than any of the small bore sport bikes I tried. Unfortunately I promised the wife and my mom no motorcycles unless I get cancer or some other fatal disease, at that point its a new Hayabusa and a Harley Softail. I still have all my riding gear just in case. By the way dont ride without a helmet, armored jacket, armored pants and boots, these will prevent alot of unnecessary and expensive bills. I dropped my bike pulling into a parking lot and if I just had jeans and a t-shirt it wouldve required a trip to the emergency room instead of just a little pain. Just pretend youre invisible and everyones out to get you and you will be fine. Take a class and get a license while youre at it, its well worth it.

Thanks for the tip. This was my thinking exactly. Have to rev the four cylinder bike way to much for regular riding, versus the torquey twins that are more street usable. Yeah, I took the MSF safety course already and would recommend it to anyone. Got my license already as well as an Icon Daytona Retro jacket and an Akuma Ghostrider helmet. Just need to get the bike now ;D. That will be either late August or early September.

Ratch that bike is beautiful btw. No school quite like the old school.

Im buying a bike here when the 08's come out . I havent decided yet buy im either getting a r-1 or the gxsr 1000 Well see what happens when they come out and which dealer is talking a better game.

I disagree that a "small" 600 is anywhere remotely near slow. Most inline 4 sportbikes start coming into the power at around 7000rpm, and will rev to somewhere in the 14-15K range. The difference between a 600 and a 1000 is a few TENTHS of a second acceleration and a couple MPH up top. Hell, when the R6 came out it turned in faster lap times than the R1. A modern 600 is nothing to play around with if you don' t know how to ride, it will kill you dead in no time. Just my .02....

I disagree that a "small" 600 is anywhere remotely near slow. Most inline 4 sportbikes start coming into the power at around 7000rpm, and will rev to somewhere in the 14-15K range. The difference between a 600 and a 1000 is a few TENTHS of a second acceleration and a couple MPH up top. Hell, when the R6 came out it turned in faster lap times than the R1. A modern 600 is nothing to play around with if you don' t know how to ride, it will kill you dead in no time. Just my .02....

I think I was misunderstood in regards to revving. I know the 600's are freaking crazy and are fantastic bikes, and are near on par with the liter bikes. But for normal street riding inline fours aren't geared for that kind of riding, needing to be revved higher. Still good bikes, but turn into beasts on the track or in the twisties, when you roll on the revs :); so much top end on those bad boys. The v-twins have more torque than the inline fours and I feel more usable on the street. I know full well that a gsxr will kick an sv's ass any day of the week, but that torque can allow the sv to hang pretty well with it, and thus more forgiving on the street. Besides any bike is something to be feared, no matter what the size. The day you stop fearing it, is the day you eat it. You are right though, those in-line fours kick some serious butt.

bbbthreat, my friend has rode bikes for a while and has said the same as you about 600 vs. 1000cc. Both have great amount of power but the 1000cc is way more streetable and easier to ride because you don't have to rev the **** out of it.

Sorry Dude, but I gotta call BS....

Whether is a VF500, VF700, or VFR750 Interceptor, they are all WAY heavier than a SV650. A laden SV650 is on average 400 pounds max, while a VF500 comes in around 450. The 700 and 750's are even heavier at around 500 pounds laden weight.

An SV650 is a very nimble and agile bike, and they are favored so much theres an AFM Race Class around them.

The '86 VF's werent that big on power either, the 750 only made around 100hp at the crank stock, which was usually around 80-85hp at the wheel.

An Sv650 will do 65-70hp at the wheel, and that V-Twin has a killer torque curve on it. For track use, or a twisty road.... an SV650 any day over any mid 80's VF.

bbbthreat, my friend has rode bikes for a while and has said the same as you about 600 vs. 1000cc. Both have great amount of power but the 1000cc is way more streetable and easier to ride because you don't have to rev the **** out of it.

Both engines are still piquey as hell, and no newbie should be considering a Super Sport of any displacement (600, 750, or 1000+). Thats ask'n to get hurt, killed, and part'n out whats left on eBay.

I own one of the busiest MC sites on the 'net, with almost 8000 Members since 1998, I've seen A LOT of bad **** happen in these kind of situations.

If your new to riding street, start on a forgiving bike, preferably a USED one to begin with (you WILL drop it!). Theres many forgiving bikes out there, heres a short-list (there are more of course):

GS500
Katana 600
SV650
Ninja 250 or 500
Bandit 600

Spend at least a year on it, hone basic riding skills, get used to the road and traffic.

The other BIG thing is - TAKE A MSF COURSE!

They are invaluable, teach important MC dynamics, and teach smoothness and control. A side benefit is that most insurance companies will give a discount for completing the course. They can be found at many Junior Colleges, and they are not expensive at all.

Go here for more info: http://www.msf-usa.org/

Back