Motor swap help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey nothing against you if you have the skills and money by all means do it ive been wanting to i might for my senior design project
Actually Beastly, it didn't cost me much to do my swap.
I sold my hurt 366, with a power bomb, and powercore4 for $600.
Bought the 83' IT490 for $500.. Pulled the motor, and wiring. Then sold what was left of the bike for $200.
I bought a used pipe, and silencer on ebay for $100. And spent what was left on paint. I broke even.. (if you don't count materials, and oopsies. lol)

Oooopsies, lol! That never happens. Also don't rule out a 700 swap, it's not as big an engine as the Warrior engine and will make TONS of power and is simpler and cheaper to work on than a 450.something with electric start would be easier,a lil heavier but easier b/c you don't have to fight a kicker.

Last edited:
I want a 4 stroke because I can pull up to a gas pump fill it and go. I'm tired of mixing oils all the time not to mention it adds up for how much riding I do. I love the ideas but now I'm kinda undecided on wht motor to use

For the 700 swap, you just exchange one quad for another, right? Lol. You can build a warrior engine to make all the 450 guys **** their pants.

For the 700 swap, you just exchange one quad for another, right? Lol. You can build a warrior engine to make all the 450 guys **** their pants.

Agreed, on our annual dune trip, the guys at the speed shop remember us by name specifically because of walle. And it never ceases to make the 450 riders jaws drop!

yeah man, I had you on my mind when I types that. You were able to mod some things and make yours work but that might not be so easily done with a newer Thumper ya know.
Well I guess it would depend on where the drive sprocket lines up?
Mine was a pain because of how far to the left I had to move the motor. But the steady bearing idea was the way to go, it's dialed in now. :tup:
I want a 4 stroke because I can pull up to a gas pump fill it and go. I'm tired of mixing oils all the time not to mention it adds up for how much riding I do. I love the ideas but now I'm kinda undecided on wht motor to use
Hey 151.. You really gotta ask yourself what you want to gain from the swap?
The main reason I swapped a 490 into mine was just to be different. I also wanted a 2stroke because their cheaper, and easier to work on. They make more raw power as well.
In the long run though... I don't plan to jump mine, or hit the track with it. I just built it to confuse the **** outta people, and cruze the trails look'n for 450's to beat up on.. lol

So what do you wanna do with your swapped wardog?

I can't stand when prople short change these engines. You can get A LOT out of them. But then you and I have talked about that before, weston. Lol

I can't stand when prople short change these engines. You can get A LOT out of them. But then you and I have talked about that before, weston. Lol
Well I have no problems with with the old 2 valves. Their great reliable little motors, and have'n reverse is a bonus as well.
I just find them expensive to work on (Thats all 4 strokes). Their heavy, and it's tough to get them over 30hp without sacrificing the great reliability they offer.
I'm sure you could squeeze 40hp out of one with a few more mods. But I think of it like a SBC. Why try to push 500hp outta one, when you could just swap in a big block. lol

Well I have no problems with with the old 2 valves. Their great reliable little motors, and have'n reverse is a bonus as well.
I just find them expensive to work on (Thats all 4 strokes). Their heavy, and it's tough to get them over 30hp without sacrificing the great reliability they offer.
I'm sure you could squeeze 40hp out of one with a few more mods. But I think of it like a SBC. Why try to push 500hp outta one, when you could just swap in a big block. lol

push 30 and it be unreliable? your crazy, once i get the dumb wiseco crank out of mine, there's nothing left to break but the chain lol, even got that covered!

ovly reason i keep putting money i mine is im still experimenting and havent found much negitive other then wiseco cranks aint worth scrap, and wiseco uses hevy wrist pins and the oem warrior clutch setup is trash on a hot built motor.

its honestly not realy hard to get to 30hp and probably not hard to break 40. just depends how you want it to be spread out.

x2 i agree!

push 30 and it be unreliable? your crazy, once i get the dumb wiseco crank out of mine, there's nothing left to break but the chain lol, even got that covered!

ovly reason i keep putting money i mine is im still experimenting and havent found much negitive other then wiseco cranks aint worth scrap, and wiseco uses hevy wrist pins and the oem warrior clutch setup is trash on a hot built motor.

its honestly not realy hard to get to 30hp and probably not hard to break 40. just depends how you want it to be spread out.

I think you kinda misunderstood what I meant..
What I meant was 30hp is a reasonable number to shoot for. Anything over that requires some internal mods. Those are where reliability starts to slip.

I think you kinda misunderstood what I meant..
What I meant was 30hp is a reasonable number to shoot for. Anything over that requires some internal mods. Those are where reliability starts to slip.

keep a wiseco crank out of it, and its hard to make it any less reliable..

besides the stock head and cam is so stuffed up i dont see it pulling 30 without internal mods.

keep a wiseco crank out of it, and its hard to make it any less reliable..

besides the stock head and cam is so stuffed up i dont see it pulling 30 without internal mods.
Well my numbers might be out to lunch, and I don't wanna argue the point or anything. But a stocker makes around 25-26hp right? So I just thought that with the right bolt on's you should be able to make close to 30hp? An over bore, and a good cam will give it a good kick in the pants to..
Then of course you can start porting, add stroker cranks, and bump the compression.. Those are the thing I say that take away from reliability.
My opinions don't count for much. But I could be right??

I know there are a lot of great mechanics on this forum that can make these motors dance, and I'm sure they can do it without sacrificing to much reliability.. Some people don't really care about that either. They just wanna go fast!!
Thats my $.02

Well my numbers might be out to lunch, and I don't wanna argue the point or anything. But a stocker makes around 25-26hp right? So I just thought that with the right bolt on's you should be able to make close to 30hp? An over bore, and a good cam will give it a good kick in the pants to..
Then of course you can start porting, add stroker cranks, and bump the compression.. Those are the thing I say that take away from reliability.
My opinions don't count for much. But I could be right??

I know there are a lot of great mechanics on this forum that can make these motors dance, and I'm sure they can do it without sacrificing to much reliability.. Some people don't really care about that either. They just wanna go fast!!
Thats my $.02

stock is 17hp out of the box on the warrior, mine on the dino with a big 3 over sized carb and 10.25:1 comp hit 23 on the dyno..

sorry not trying to argue js.. the new raptor 350 is supposed to hit 24-26 out of the box but i dont see how.

well the newer rappys are suppose to have a slightly larger cam profile and the newer style carb but besides that I don't see any difference

stock is 17hp out of the box on the warrior, mine on the dino with a big 3 over sized carb and 10.25:1 comp hit 23 on the dyno..

sorry not trying to argue js.. the new raptor 350 is supposed to hit 24-26 out of the box but i dont see how.
Holly crap!! 17hp...
Man I'm horribly misinformed.. lmao

Well I know the 490 is rated around 37hp stock. I wanna hit a dyno, and hope for 40hp. :iagree:

Back