Motor swap help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

151RACING

Reaction score
I have a 2001 warrior and I'm bored I want to put a 250 or a 450 four stroke motor in it. Wht do I need to do to make it work and which one would I get the best results from? I have Been trying to find a thread with someone who has done this already but I haven't found one so can any one help me?

well dude your in mostly uncharted teritory but the basics are tools to make mounts and using the bikes wiring harness and mounting your cooling system and exhaust and getting your chain to line up

Uncharted territory? Like this isn't something many ppl have tried? And should I go all out with the 450? Wht should I do suspension terms?

well not alot of people have done a 450 and yeah the 450 would probaly be your best bet if you want POWER lol, Suspension the most common setup is works dual rates in the front and a 2001 raptor660 rear shock

Thanks guys now I have to find a motor. And ok I will have to document every step of the built for anyone else who is interested in the same swap. I wanna find a blown up 450 motor to build so I can do it how I want it. And if anyone else has other info feel free to let me kno thanks

If you have any questions about mounting locations, or making mounts you can PM me.. I'll try my best to help you out.
The one major problem I had with my swap was the rear motor mount to the swinger. I had to customize it abit, but it came out good.

I'd also try to find an aircooled motor, cause of the lack of mounting points for a rad. It would just be a bit of a pain finding a spot it won't get messed up. It could be done though..

Well I was thinking of using a trx or yfz radiator and mounting it under the hood where ppl mount the oil coolers

Ok well wht r my options on air cooled 4 strokes? I don't want a smoker I'm not in to two strokes and I would like it to be a kicker

Bryan quad put a yz426 in his and had room there in front of the motor but no the motor doesnt sit back further what makes you think that and honestly from the sounds of your knowledge in mechanics and design i wouldnt be attempting this unless you had someone helping thats experienced in this field

First thing I work in a garage! Second I race dirtbikes my whole life got injured and decide last month I'm switching to a quad. So don't tell me I don't kno wht I'm doing! With out knowing me ya I may not kno everything and yes I'm new to this hybrid stuff but don't act like I'm a know nothing space head. I came to this sit for some insit on wht I was planing on trying and the easiest way to do it to save me money but as I see it my imagination isn't welcome here so I will take my questions and info somewhere else. I just thought I would ask a few questions and share my build for others
Thinking about the same swap.

First thing I work in a garage! Second I race dirtbikes my whole life got injured and decide last month I'm switching to a quad. So don't tell me I don't kno wht I'm doing! With out knowing me ya I may not kno everything and yes I'm new to this hybrid stuff but don't act like I'm a know nothing space head. I came to this sit for some insit on wht I was planing on trying and the easiest way to do it to save me money but as I see it my imagination isn't welcome here so I will take my questions and info somewhere else. I just thought I would ask a few questions and share my build for others
Thinking about the same swap.

stepped on your toes ones and goes on a rant... hmmm calm down bro.. why you wanting to do a hybrid swap anyways? its easier to just pop a warrior motor together or buy a 450 roller and build that! Jw, either way, there are guys on here that can help.

My warrior runs great but I want something unique and to shut all the ppl who talk bad about warriors saying they r only good for scrap. I have never owned anything normal in a unique person with unique toys ik there r guys on here that can help but it's not appreciated when some says I can't do something because I don't kno wht I'm doing. And know one knows until they do it or ask questions

so your efectivly just wanting something to shut the 450 guys up? ooo i can do that with a warrior motor and it be much cooler! its not really a warrior if its heart is a 450 motor out of something else.

1500 would do everything in the motor you could ever want!
750 is suspension parts, then you could do all the look good parts, like nerfs, bumpers, ect

so take your pic, its not cheap to do a 450 hybrid either. so take your pick

Well I was thinking of using a trx or yfz radiator and mounting it under the hood where ppl mount the oil coolers

I've seen guys mount rads on the support bars under the tank, but there just wouldn't be enuf room under the hood to mount one. Not unless you modified the hood, but it could look weird?
The main problem with mounting the rad on those support bars is the fact that there vulnerable to damage.. But it also depends on what kinda riding your gonna do.
As for moving the engine back in the frame, (which is what I did to mount to the swinger) it actually helps the weight distribution. The warriors are front heavy to begin with. I had to move my engine way to the left to line up my sprockets as well.

I also have to ask why you don't like 2 strokes? I'm just curious...
Like I'm not a big fan of the smaller liquid cooled smokers, but the old air cooled bigbores "are like the best engines ever"!! Killer bottom end, and a vicious powerband, all wrapped up in a nice lightweight package. Their badass! Just say'n.. Thats my opinion.

But if you do this swap, just start welding pieces in till it fits!! Thats what I did, and it's in there good. Just be real careful welding to the frame. It's cheap thin steel, and it's easy to blow a hole in..

Back