Motor starts by pullstart but not electric start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supplementing

Reaction score
Ok. Maybe some of you seasoned veterans can help me here. My warrior starts via the pullstart and its not a problem, but something is up with the electric start. First off, I dont have a battery, but I tried hooking jumper cables to it and the frame and it like tries to start but just doesnt quite get there. The starter seems fine and seems to be doing its job (its a little worn-out), but the motor just wont fire up by the electric start. Any ideas as to what it could be? I saw somewhere it could be something to do with the stator. Any info would be helpful, I dont wanna go spend money on things that I dont need, i.e. a new starter, if its the stator. Thanks guys, and as always, I apologize for my ignorance, im a noob.

It seems like the motor rolls over fast enough to start, but its just not starting via electric start.

I would start with known problems first. (Battery)
Its nice to hop on and hit the go button, without having to pull the truck up to it or jerk on that damn rope.
Then do like Dune said.
Does it have a Black negative wire you can hook to instead of the frame?
Kind of strange that it will fire with the rope and not the battery.
So you are hooking the + to the Red wire on the bike, and the - to the Frame?

I would start with known problems first. (Battery)
Its nice to hop on and hit the go button, without having to pull the truck up to it or jerk on that damn rope.
Then do like Dune said.
Does it have a Black negative wire you can hook to instead of the frame?
Kind of strange that it will fire with the rope and not the battery.
So you are hooking the + to the Red wire on the bike, and the - to the Frame?

Thats the thing, the wiring has me all confused. There is a black wire that comes up under the seat, but no red wire...some (unknown color, because its wrapped in rubber) wire from the starter goes to the solenoid, then the black wire comes from the solenoid to under the seat I think.The red wire has been ripped off I think. I was sticking the red jumper cable to the starter and the black jumper cable to the frame and it doesnt start. The wiring is all boogered up.

By just touching the red cable to the starter none of your electronics are getting current. The solenoid is like an open switch.
Without a pic it is hard to tell you what to do. But I'll tell you that you need to jump it from the solenoid. If you touch your jumper cable to both posts on the solenoid at the same time it should start. Just make sure that the cables in question under the seat are not touching anything to where they can short.
See if that works

In the pevious post I meant to tell you to touch the red jumper cable to both posts on the solenoid, laeve the negative to the frame.

Can you post a pic of these wires?
Your battery wires will be quite a bit larger than the control wiring.
Your solenoid should have one large wire that goes to the post on the starter, then a large wire that goes to your + on the battery, it will also have think 2 wires in a plug connected to it that energizes the coil when you hit the start button.
I can't remember where the - connects but the other large wire under the seat you might be able to trace to a frame connection somewhere.

In the pevious post I meant to tell you to touch the red jumper cable to both posts on the solenoid, laeve the negative to the frame.

Can you post a pic of these wires?
Your battery wires will be quite a bit larger than the control wiring.
Your solenoid should have one large wire that goes to the post on the starter, then a large wire that goes to your + on the battery, it will also have think 2 wires in a plug connected to it that energizes the coil when you hit the start button.
I can't remember where the - connects but the other large wire under the seat you might be able to trace to a frame connection somewhere.

Ill get a pic in the morning. Maybe then someone can shed some light on the subject, b/c the whole solenoid thing is throwing me off. Im missing the hotwire that goes under the seat to the battery I think. One of the posts on the solenoid is missing a wire, it looks to have been pulled out of it.

So on the top of the solenoid on the big posts, one has a cable going to the starter and the other has nothing?
There should be a couple of wires going to the empty post one of which is the + battry cable and at least one smaller wire that gives power to all of the engine components(stator, CDI, Lights, ect).
The solenoid is just like a high current switch
Let me look at some drawings to see if I can get some colors, 1987 correct?

So on the top of the solenoid on the big posts, one has a cable going to the starter and the other has nothing?
There should be a couple of wires going to the empty post one of which is the + battry cable and at least one smaller wire that gives power to all of the engine components(stator, CDI, Lights, ect).
The solenoid is just like a high current switch
Let me look at some drawings to see if I can get some colors, 1987 correct?

yes.

From what I'm seeing in the drawing.
The + side of the battery should have a large red wire going directly to the soleniod, and a small red wire going to a small single pin plug that changes it to a red/white wire that goes to a fuse link. And from there it goes out to differend components of the bike.
Does it have that setup? Or do you see those wires?

From what I'm seeing in the drawing.
The + side of the battery should have a large red wire going directly to the soleniod, and a small red wire going to a small single pin plug that changes it to a red/white wire that goes to a fuse link. And from there it goes out to differend components of the bike.
Does it have that setup? Or do you see those wires?

Its dark out, so I cant really go look. My outbuilding has no power, and the shop light bulb burnt out. I do know that theres no large red wire, just the large black wire. I also know that a small red wire is disonnected and was laying under the seat in the battery box, but there is also another small red wire that is still connected.To what exactly, I cant remember, Ill look in the morning. So, I guess I need to get a new large red wire and hook it up. Can you get a picture of your wiring back there at the solenoid so I can reference it? I wanna try to solve this issue without taking it to my local atv repair shop if possible, his hourly costs are outrageous, and his mechanics are super slow.Therefore, huge bills for small repairs. I live in the middle of nowhere and he is the only one around sadly.

here is a pic of the solenoid off my 92 with all the wires connected
hope it helps

2012-04-24151341.jpg

No go on any pics. I'm a long way from home.
Looking at the drawing for the bike,
== Battery Negative (Large black wire under seat) connected to frame
== Battery Positive (Large red wire under seat) connected to either side of the big postson the solenoid, lets just say rear one for reference.
== Battery Positive (Small red wire under the seat) connected to the same as above the rear post on the solenoid.
== Starter cable (should be black according to the drawing) connects from the forward large post on the solenoid to the large post on the starter.
== The small red wire under the seat should lead to a single pin connector the change to a red/white wire.
== The small red/white wire will lead to an in line fuse and from the fuse it remains red/white through a single pin connector and on through the loom.
== On the solenoid there will be a small pigtail with red/white and black wire make sure it is plugged in.

As far as wires colors go and by looking at the drawing;
= Tail light- Blue and black
= Reverse switch- Gray/yellow
= Neutral switch- Sky blue
= Neutral indicator switch- Brown and Sky blue
= Ignition coil- Orange

If you pm me your email I can send the drawings.

Back