Motor biuld ideas and questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1998yamahawarrior

Reaction score
Alright as Im getting ready to start my motor biuld, I need some help making some decisions. The for sure of the plan is a Wiesco-.040-10.25:1 piston, kibblewhite springs, mild P&P. I already have the Big Gun Race series full system and a Uni filter with the lid removed. I keep contemplating 91warriors .450 cam. I know if I were to get it I will lose some bottom end, but once Im moving Im ususally higher in the rpms the whole time, even in the woods. Would really like some input.

Alright as Im getting ready to start my motor biuld, I need some help making some decisions. The for sure of the plan is a Wiesco-.040-10.25:1 piston, kibblewhite springs, mild P&P. I already have the Big Gun Race series full system and a Uni filter with the lid removed. I keep contemplating 91warriors .450 cam. I know if I were to get it I will lose some bottom end, but once Im moving Im ususally higher in the rpms the whole time, even in the woods. Would really like some input.

I gotta say JE for the piston. I had a Wiesco in my 87 and from the looks of them the JE looks like its machined better and cleaner.IMO Def get Kimble Whites spring kit, and port the head. If the coin allows get the oversized valve, it sure does help alot. Only cam i can speak of is my Hotcam .390, which is a good mid-top end. Low end isnt to lazy, kinda like the stock cam, then once it revs up it pours on the power. If/when u get a carb, dont get an edlebrock. Biggest POS ever, i hate mine.

hahahah. I hated mine too........... Not anymore. There finicky, figure it out for your particular build and ur good to go. Thou, those factors may not be worth it to some.

Deff put your money into the topend. I'd love to tear mine back off and get the +1 intake, I can tell it helps from the 5mins I was on 87s war. Get a good gasket set too, (Cometic/ Versha) spend the money for the right parts = worth it in the long run. put in a new cam chain while ur at it. Piece of mine and it will wear even with the new build.

^^x2 on the cam chain higher compression then 10.25:1 and a larger bore carb will do ya real good for trails i wouldnt sudjest the .430 or .450 cam they seem a tad much i know walle loves to get sideways in the woods and its ony running a hotcam!!! granted its completely built for mx not cc

Way off post, but I just noticed your quad is called Wall_E.

YFM Elite Quads;

Madcow
Swamp Thing
Jar-Jar (not yet, but well on its way)
WALL.E

That's quite the line up so far

I gotta say JE for the piston. I had a Wiesco in my 87 and from the looks of them the JE looks like its machined better and cleaner.IMO Def get Kimble Whites spring kit, and port the head. If the coin allows get the oversized valve, it sure does help alot. Only cam i can speak of is my Hotcam .390, which is a good mid-top end. Low end isnt to lazy, kinda like the stock cam, then once it revs up it pours on the power. If/when u get a carb, dont get an edlebrock. Biggest POS ever, i hate mine.

Id get a JE, but I cant find one for a .040 and a higher compression. Not even on their site. I do keep thinking about getting a stage 1 hotcam for now, so that I still have my stocker for when the time and $$ allow for a different cam. When I do upgrade the carb, Ill probably go with a FCR like Jason has been suggesting. Wouldnt mind playing with an Edel, but they are getting harder to come by in a warrior setup.

hahahah. I hated mine too........... Not anymore. There finicky, figure it out for your particular build and ur good to go. Thou, those factors may not be worth it to some.

Deff put your money into the topend. I'd love to tear mine back off and get the +1 intake, I can tell it helps from the 5mins I was on 87s war. Get a good gasket set too, (Cometic/ Versha) spend the money for the right parts = worth it in the long run. put in a new cam chain while ur at it. Piece of mine and it will wear even with the new build.

Not sure on the +1 intake yet, been contemplating it though just dont know yet. As for the gaskets I am partial to Cometic, just had really good luck with them. Planned on a new cam chain though, the stocker seems like its stretched pretty good. Of coarse it is 24 years old.

Way off post, but I just noticed your quad is called Wall_E.

YFM Elite Quads;

Madcow
Swamp Thing
Jar-Jar
WALL.E

That's quite the line up so far

Jar-Jar isnt Elite as of now, but its good to know you think its worthy.

^^x2 on the cam chain higher compression then 10.25:1 and a larger bore carb will do ya real good for trails i wouldnt sudjest the .430 or .450 cam they seem a tad much i know walle loves to get sideways in the woods and its ony running a hotcam!!! granted its completely built for mx not cc

Like I siad Id love to go higher compression than 10.25:1, but I cant find any at 84mm

is mine just beast

idk id try the .450 cam. if you don't like it you could always swap it

Well, Im still playing with the idea. Decisions, decisions!!! LOL

You could do 12:1 and dish out the head and put supper thick gaskets on it

Cant find one in a .040 over either. I know that I could go with the 10.25:1, use gasket maker for the base gasket to bump the compression up a hair. Probably some other tricks that I dont know, but some one would have to know how to figure it out so I could still stay in pump gas range.

You get that cooler final mounted fan mounted and I imagin that sucker will run cool enough to run 12:1 without race gas imo mine was running at 175 befor the header craped on me but I think 11:1 will do you good and if you do contact cometic I for sure wanna know what you find out I've got quad atics and mine due for a rebuild asap

Got a couple questions my self although it seems that you guys have already answered one. I just pulled to top end off my the other day. I took it to a buddies house last night, we ran a scope through it and it looks like I am need of a new piston. Sounds like everyone on here likes JE pistons huh? I will probably have to check into that. Also to my surprise when I tore it down, it would appear that the guy that had it before me slid in a cam. On the side it is ground in WB - 1905. What does that mean? He also did a little P&P to it. I as well as my buddy were pretty impressed with the work done to the head...Guess I will be on the way to the machine shop in a couple days. I need to have it done and running in less than a month..........

I'm assuming WB would stand for white brothers and they got their cams from webcam if memory serves me right. Your a lucky son of a beach. My motor biuld will probably be pushed back now as the pinion gear in the rear end of my truck. So the money I had sitting back to do a biuld has to go to fix the truck.

Well thats good to know. Probably why I was so impressed with how it ran....

I got bored so I went down to the local shop to have the cylinder checked. Said it needed to go 20 over to get the bore straightened back out. Due to time and money constraints just going with a wiseco piston..... Sorry.... They said that it would require a lot of extra machine work to put in the JE 366 piston, and they don't deal with them so it would take longer to get done. Maybe next time I guess.

Hopefully this will finish this project for a while. Getting tired of waiting on parts, just want to go ride it. Plus running out of time to get it done for my big trip.

The build i just did is similar to what your wanting to do, I had Al at Advanced Machine do my work, And i suggested going +1mm valves he said i would be wasting money staying close to stock displacement but the 366 kit he recommends them for, I did a wiseco 10:25:1, porting, headwork, kibble white valves and springs stage one hotcam new valve seals etc. And im happy it seems like it will be a good woods machine once i get my jetting spot on.

Back