Metal Flakes in oil filter

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddy

Reaction score
i changed my oil in my warrior yesterday,its been about 4-5 months since ive looked at the oil filter and i looked at it and saw a bunch of metal flakes stuck down in the grooves on the filter and also around where the filter itself goes,there was actually a really good amount of it in there,so im guessing that cant be good but im not sure whether its coming from the lowend or my tranny or some clutch particles or what, it shifts and runs fine tho,just was wondering what it could be and what i should do...thanks

i usually have a few in there, but not enough to worry me. its probably an aluminum part wearing, but i dont know what is aluminum and what steel in the motor, havent had to take mine apart yet.

well i have that alot but mine are black so im figureing its clutch but if i was you id look into it

Every time I change the oil on my warrior there's metal flakes in there. 2 and a half years and i haven't had any internal problems with my engine yet, other than the starter clutch. A failing starter clutch could easily be the source of the flakes.

Either way, if it's running good, I wouldn't worry about it. If you get a weird noise or vibration, then i'd start to look into it.

^^We actually agree on something......(haha)just kidding!
I too have a bit of metal flakes in my engine too, and that's on a fresh rebuild.

i get flakes everytime i change oil i wouldnt worry about it i've got flakes every oil change and i havent had any problems with my motor

ok thats good that kinda makes me feel a little better, i figured if anything it wud be something on the clutch area thanks now i dont feel like splitting the case apart...lol

Capture the metal flakes from the filter, and clean the oil off them. See if they are aluminum or steel (a magnet is quite useful for telling them apart too).

On this engine, you should not be getting too many "shavings" after the first 3 or 4 oil changes. A picture would help! It depends on how long/thick they are, etc. You can tell if they are leftovers from initial assembly, or from a problem developing.

Aluminum shavings usually indicate a case related shaft/bearing retainer issue.

Steel is generally *not* good - tranny components, bearings, c-rods, etc are case-hardened (and generally shot peened).

well...it turned out those metal flakes ment something...lol becuz my warrior slowly took a poop and locked up a few days ago,turns out alot of it was from the crank,washer,crank pin,bearings lol...that sucks...well at least i got my answer...ha

Back