low battery noise?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vile

Reaction score
is it normal for a very low battery to make an annoying noiise when trying to start it? I just brought a used 350 raptor home yesterday and tried starting it this morning, it started for about 5 seconds and shut off, then wouldnt start. I could tell after a few tries thet battery didnt hold a charge, then it started buzzing instead of moving the piston. Is this noise normal? i think i need a new one... :'(

ps- ive been used to kickin a blaster started, so im new to the electric start....starting to think its gonna be more of a hassel than a convenience.

I'd say your battery is dead. Check the acid level first; If that's fine then just throw it onto a battery tender/charger, and that should take care of it. If not then start checking your fuses.

You can't check the acid on the raptor because it uses a sealed gel battery that yamaha uses on it's sportbikes. mine did that too, after i let it sit for way too long, the battery died and wouldn't hold a charge. After just a few seconds of cranking it couldn't turn the crank anymore. It would make a really fast clicking/buzzing sound as it tried to engage the starter. You need a new battery. But just to be sure, try jumping it off with your car or something, it should start fine. If not, it may be something else, like your starter.
Just to let you know, that battery is $120 at the yamaha dealer, and I couldn't find anything that was equivalent at local part stores because it's so small. None of them even showed a part number for it. Rocky Mountain atv has the stock yuasa battery for $85 and they have this one http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productD....dFamil yId=8926 for $40 so you might want to give that a try.

Sorry, that link didn't work, just go to rockymountainatv.com and search for a raptor 350 battery.
You can also find them on ebay, I don't know about their quality, but it may be worth a shot compared to a 120 dollar stock battery.

Are you sure it was the battery buzzing and not the starter relay? I bought a battery at Advanced Auto Parts for like $60. Been solid for over a year, you can also check walmart and stuff. I also invested in a trickle charger, whenever I won't be riding for a week or more I hook it up and it keeps the battery in top shape!

Sorry, that's what i meant by engage the starter, there's enough juice to engage the solenoid, but once it's engaged the starter sucks up all the juice so there's not enough to hold the solenoid open so it closes, then the starter's out of the loop so there's enough power for the solenoid again, then there's not, then there is, and then there's not again. The buzzing is the sound of the solenoid opening and closing rapidly and possibly the starter turning slightly.

definatley was a $135 battery :'(......o well, i finally got to ride the machine after having it 3 days!!! and WOW. what and upgrade from a stock blaster :eek: :eek: :eek: ;D ;D :cool: happy easter everyone, thanks for the advice

Back