Limewire users

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote:686dvqvd]In my opionion there are a lot more worse crimes being commited everyday than ilegally downloading music. Instead of spending time on finding out who's downloading music illegally they should be worrying about all the murders, rapes, stealing cars. You know, serious crimes.
So, you are saying because it's a petty crime, police should look the other way?

[/quote:686dvqvd]

Im not saying they should overlook petty crimes, Im saying they should focus more on serious crimes. It always seems like you hear people getting sued and locked up for petty crimes and you hear about murders and rapes and kidnappings that never get solved and no one gets punished.

I got limewire then downloaded limewire pro off of it and now between my dad and i we have a thousand songs. When they shut kazaa down they said on the news that it is only illegal in the states. They cant stop you from downloading songs in canada yet because apparantly it is still legal. that was a atleast a year ago now though

Well after reading all 4 pages I am gonna input my opinions.

I use a file sharing program to download music, Do I think of it as a crime? No, why? Becuase so many people do it, and I am not physically, mentally, emotionally, or in any way hurting some one.
I do agree with story dude on some of his defense. As little a crime we think it is, its still a crime, but its so common in society that we overlook it as something bad. So I hate to go agaisnt the tempermant, but I think storydude has a better defense compared to the random rants I see trying to cut him down.
Hate me or love me, but thats what I think.

Some of this thread is funny. Like really, a police force has some kind of media piracy dept. Police will go after somebody that has been turned in by others -I really doubt any are spending much time searching. They do have better things to do.

This is all a numbers thing. I have been round a while and remember when reel to reel recorders were popular. Cassette tape recorders, then CD's. As long as technology has been there for the average person to record something -they have been pirating music. It has been a thorn in the music industries side, but dealable. They were getting real edgy when CD burners came out - they were saying OMG. When the internet and digital music came along, so did Napster. A new release would come out, and the whole album(CD) would be available to anybody to download free of charge literally the next day. Now thats where the real problem happened. They were losing sales bigtime and it did nothing but get worse. To survive, it had to be curtailed somehow. We can all imagine what percentage of sales were lost - and this was not a lesser quality version. It sounded just as good. Who can blame them for fighting back. Piracy is hurting their sales -probably deep into double digit sales.

Now leaning the other way, are they hurting? I doubt it. This economy we are living in is charge whatever you can get. Why are cd's costing $15 that were released 25 years+ previously. Because people are willing to pay. I think gouging is the correct word. Kind of like going to a ball game and having to pay $8 for a beer. They are not charging that because that is what it costs to sell beer in that envirionment. The same goes for music. If the price was more reasonable the piracy would be less. It probably costs about $1 to burn a CD, print the sleeve and get it to the stores. The band makes $.50 per if they are lucky. All the rest is profit. Yes , the store has overhead, so they deserve a fair mark up.

I can remember when concerts were $15 or less. That was for any seat -1st come, 1st serve. Then Michael Jackson had that tour where he was charging $25 a seat. I laughed because here in Cleveland he didn't sellout -concert was cancelled. I guess he couldn't gouge enough here. That was the beginning of the outrageous pricing at concerts. Now you can pay $100+ to be up near the front row. Bottom line -they are going to take whatever they can manage to get people to pay. I have no pity myself. If it was fair price they wouldn't have this problem, they caused it themselves.

BTW, Story dude are you saying that you have never taped a song, album, movie, ballgame, tv show, ect. or never had any software on your computer that you didn't pay for? Or owned a bootleg?

No, I have not.

Unlike most here, I know the laws, and all copies of music/media I own are LEGAL BACKUPS.

You know, that little loophole that lets one make ONE backup of all media one owns?

EVERY PIECE OF SOFTWARE,MEDIA AND MUSIC I OWN IS LEGAL.

I don;t break the law, and I SURE AS HELL do not flaunt that I "steal music, and screw the record companies"

Not even when you were a teenager, back in the old days. Maybe you reformed or are in denial. Hard to believe you never put your VCR or cassette deck to use just once, ever!!!

I am not patronizing here, just can't believe you have never done anything wrong. You know the law and follow every one of them to a tee. I don't think the Pope can make that claim.

Not even when you were a teenager, back in the old days. Maybe you reformed or are in denial. Hard to believe you never put your VCR or cassette deck to use just once, ever!!!

I am not patronizing here, just can't believe you have never done anything wrong. You know the law and follow every one of them to a tee. I don't think the Pope can make that claim.

Copies for PERSONAL USE are exempt.

Too bad the second an MP3/whatever/.iso hits The innerweb in a P2P filestructure, it is no longer classed as PERSONAL USE.

One can record off of TV, because it's licensed for broadcast. One can record off the radio, because that song is licensed to the Station for broadcast.

Taking a CD you purchased, ripping it, and placing it on the net is NOT for Personal use. You purchased a License to view that media, not a license to broadcast.

It's not the FILES, it's the LICENSE TO USE THEM that one is paying for.

So basicly i can download them and put them on my MP3 player then delete them off my computer... Thats personal use isnt it?

So i can download them and put them on my MP3 player then delete them off my computer... Thats personal use isnt it?

one would think Deadaim...but ya never know, i didnt bother to read the first 2 pages but i read the ones after that,, kinda boring, anyway back to what i was gonna say and sry if it was already said. The way i've always seen and heard is that its the people that upload the files to be used are the ones getting caught seeing how there the ones infringing upon copyright laws. I myself download music, most of the time if i like the music i buy the cd,sometimes i dont. But i always either move the files i download or delete them after i burn them to a cd/ add them to a playlist, just so the auto uploader thing doesnt get a chance to work its beautiful magic ;) anyway enough of my rant, its time to go back to work....hopefully my 2cents doesnt cause another horrible argument :(

If I record Metallica off the radio its OK, but if I record it off of my buddies CD its not. So, if it is played on the radio it is no longer intellectual property of the creator, and the copywrite is null in that circumstance. I have spent a bit of time looking around the net trying to find the laws you are saying are in place --falling under "fair use". Not much available until I found that its ok to copy if material is in the "Public Domain". No recording after 1922 is in the Public Domain.

On a site I found:"you CANNOT reproduce the music or lyrics
you CANNOT distribute the music or lyrics either for free, for no profit, or for profit
you CANNOT perform the music or lyrics in public
you CANNOT play a recording of the music or lyrics in public--even if you own the CD
you CANNOT make a derivative work or arrangement for public use in any form"

<http://www.pdinfo.com/copyrt.htm>

You can read up on it if you like, but basically - if you don't hold the copywrite, you can't play it on your stereo loud enough for the public to hear, can't reproduce it (record it in any form), nor can you sing it while walking to your car -unless of course it is in the public domain. Yankee Doodle is OK, quite legal. Oh, by the way, me linking to that website is also illegal -didn't have permission. Television is also "Intellectual Property", unless you have permission its a no no. Probably why some shows offers excerpts at the end of each show - because you can't just record it.

No, I have not.

Unlike most here, I know the laws, and all copies of music/media I own are LEGAL BACKUPS.

You know, that little loophole that lets one make ONE backup of all media one owns?

EVERY PIECE OF SOFTWARE,MEDIA AND MUSIC I OWN IS LEGAL.

I don;t break the law, and I SURE AS HELL do not flaunt that I "steal music, and screw the record companies"

So, you are saying because it's a petty crime, police should look the other way?

Please enlighten me where the law states that Intellectual property is OK to reproduce off of the tv or radio, if it carries a copywrite. Could it be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Please enlighten me where the law states that Intellectual property is OK to reproduce off of the tv or radio, if it carries a copywrite. Could it be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

My DVR sitting not 2 feet from me records Music channels, and Broadcast TV.

Given to me free by the Cable company.

Well, if you are viewing such items more than once you would be, however petty it may be, a thief. As with Limewire, which is given "for free", it is a tool that can be used for illegal purposes.

I personally could care less what you do though. Not my place to judge others.

I am not taking sides here, but it is perfectly legal to record and listen to and or watch broadcast programs as many times as you like....as long as it is for personal use only. Congress has laws regarding these issues, look it up. Also; every time you buy any recording device or media, i.e. blank cd's, tapes, cd burners, digital recorders, etc., part of that cost goes toward a federal royalty payment fund. How that money is distributed, I do not know.
All of this, however, is still not a valid reason to blindly call people criminals. Between all of the 'blue laws' and active ones, anyone would be hard pressed to find an individual who has never violated a law here in the USA. But as they say, 'sticks and stones'..............................well you get the idea. I know I have broken laws in the past, and, while not proud of it, I am still man enough to admit it and own up to what I have done. Your mileage may vary.

I think it more or less comes down to a law of distirbution... if your recording shows and distributing copies freely then you can face penelties....

But i can say if i go out and fork 16 dollars for a cd to be told i can only make one copy of it they can suck my nuts. I should be allowed to make as many backup copies as i want if i purchased the cd... the cd and everything on it are then my property and as long as i dont distribute it i should be allowed to make 6000 copies and not hear anything about it.

Maybe i missed something but i think that was said somewhere... however if im wrong excuse my opinion.

and another thing... i cant say limewire ever did anything bad for the music industry. Ive found alot of bands and purchased many cd's because of it. At times id download the whole cd and then go buy it afterwards... might sound funny.. but to get the original song quality and tracks error free you almost have to.

Again i do not support limewire and im telling you right now its illegal dont want to argue with anyone because ill just be slammed with a whole bunch of legal crap that i wont read anyway so feel free to waste your time.....

What i want to know is when people do get busted for this.... who do i have to pay? Artists or government... either way the government is making out in court costs. Nevermind that statement haha

Who gets the money? Is it a civil case or criminal -that tells who gets the money.

The whole thing is a big gray area. One side pushes one way for more laws and the other side pushes back saying it is unconstitutional. I really couldn't find any laws about personal use being legal. I did find stuff about cable access having different laws and if a teacher wanted to use a show in class that the school itself has to record the show. Also stuff on how long you could keep such shows - contradictory From one use to 45 days?? Bottomline, your probably more at risk of getting in trouble if you are selling bootlegs out of your trunk or offering 2000 songs on a p2p network than owning copies of a few movies or have a library of mp3's on your computer.

Peace to all, may you be judged only by the law or a higher power

Back