Lets talk about carbon fiber... anyone try these?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynxgen

Reaction score
So i was looking about for rims and such, and came across these:

HiPer racing carbon fiber rims.

They say they're lighter, and more durable than aluminum rims...

http://www.hiperracingwheels.com/atv.aspx

any thoughts? anyone run them? I've done some searching and found mixed feelings about them..

and then also while looking around, came across these:

CArbon fiber axle assemblies...

http://www.bactechnologies.com/atv_axles.htm

Just imagine the combination of the axles and rims together. Dropping that much unsprung wieght and such... dang it would go nice and take off quicker!!

anyways, jsut wondering if anyones tried these at all.. lol

wonder what other carbon fiber parts a guy could find.. handle bars maybe? front a-arms or something? hmm..

EDIT:
Some more info on the birth of the rims...

http://www.zoltek.com/aboutus/news/21/

I run hiper beadlocks on my YFZ and they are actually heavier than just aluminum wheels but they are tough as hell! and if you ever beat the crap outta the rings you can always replace them and make them look brand new.

Hipers are extremely popular with most all XC racers, and also extremely expensive. I've also personally seen the bolt holes get stripped out and brake on more then one occasion. I went with steel beadlocks, I tend to ride in some pretty rough stuff and if I bend a rim I can bend it back, you can't fix a broke carbon fiber rim.

And a carbon fiber axle. Now thats just nuts! Coolness.

Looks cool but unless ur trying to race competitively why spend that much money?

hipers hold up decent in xc, however back to old drag racin days, your dollar per hp would get u a lot further than 5 lbs weight saving

wadda yah guys talkin bout? Nearly every pro XC gncc racer run Hipers.

haha.. yeah.. I doubt I'd ever go that route, unless I was trying to build up everything to the max.. and price.. yeah.. ugh.

If I wanted em bad enough, Id figure a way to afford em.

I've spent more money on stupider things.. (See my 82 AMC eagle that I've put about 4500$ into over the last year and now needs a tranny.. of course I know where theres 2 more I can get for a flat of beer.. hehe.. And wait, i have a 2.3 turbo ford engine to go into my 86 S12 notch... (Nissan 200sx/gazelle)) lol
At least I finaly gave up on the merkur xr4ti.. got 2 of those in my yard as well.. lol

Now Im looking for a small truck, IE ranger or s10/15 or dakota.. something I can toss the quad into and expand my riding areas.. lol Brosseau Damn here I come!!! hehe

I think those hiper rims would be great, and I doubt I ride hard enough to do em much damage. In comparision to those that race, Im a rather mild rider for the most part .. then again, ive never realy had a baggable machine.. little trailboss 250, an atc 175..? trike, and the use of the inlaws 500 sportsman 4x4.. ugh.

I think the axles would have to be encased in steel, if for no other reason than to protect em from rocks n such.

as for the rims, the older ones were supposed to be marginaly lighter than alum, and the newer ones just barely, (Like 1 or 2 pnds) lighter than there alum counterparts..

but yeah, be less painfull and cheaper to replae the alum ones than the hypers.. lol

Back