Lesson learned

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnk

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what years of thumb throttle will fit a 1992 Warrior? I bought one off of a 1999 but it isn't even close.

According to the OEM parts lookup, the 1992 and 1999 are exactly the same parts. Whoever sold you the throttle screwed you. They're actually all the same part numbers through all the years, from 87 all the way to 2004, so what you have couldn't be one for a warrior.

Their all the same...

If you bought it off a 99 Warrior and it's different than what was on your's.

Then
A.) They sold you an aftermarket or one from a different quad.
B.) Your's was an aftermarket or from a different quad.

From 1987 to 2004, everything on the Warrior's stayed the same beside's the Front Fender's, Hood, HeadLight and HeadLight Mount.

Their all the same...
From 1987 to 2004, everything on the Warrior's stayed the same beside's the Front Fender's, Hood, HeadLight and HeadLight Mount.

Actually, there's a bunch more that changed than that, especially between the first 3 years of production. Different frames, shocks, a-arms, swingarm, pull starter, carb, electrical system, brakes, and some more. after 89 they remained more stable though, just one change of the headlight, and then stuff in the electrical system.

Ok, you guys are a great help. It is a Yamaha throttle assembly, but I can't verify what it came off of other than what the guy told me. I do know it looks exactly like the throttle box in the parts breakdown. My Warrior currently has a twist throttle on it. As near as I can tell, only the twist and the single cable are different, the splitter box appears stock. The end of the new cable will engage the splitter apparatus correctly, but has 2" or so too much cable sticking out of the cable.

Here is a pic:

ab_1.JPG

splitter box? does your carb have 1 or 2 throttle cables going into it? I thought only the 87 and 88's had the 2 cable setup. But if your carb is the 2 cable design, you'll need to get a cable for your year, instead of the cable for the 99 (which connects directly to the carb without a splitter, which is why it's a little bit longer)

By the way, that does look like the stock warrior throttle assembly.

My carb has 2 cables going into it. I wonder if the throttle cable part numbers are different for a 1992 to a 1999. Also, it looks as though there is a place for a threaded adjustable extension on the splitter end of my cable. Perhaps that is where the missing length is.

Update: I installed the throttle box and fabbed a tube to get the existing cable to work. Yama is right, I need to get the cable specific for my year and be done with it.
Thanks to all of you.

Another update: 1992 was the last year for the 2 cable carb. Yamaha only sells the complete cable assy for $48. Local dealer was able to get me an upper only from aftermarket for around $17. Anyone want a twist throttle assembly for a warrior?

Back