just got 1st warrior got a few questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89yfm350

Reaction score
picked up the quad for 200 bucks its a 1989 had been sittin 4 three years in a barn with the head off it. got it home and the head had a seized rocker so i pulled the pin and smoothed it so it worked freely got a new cam and put it back together and it fired on the first pull. but it has a few bugs...backfires a bit during deceleration i think it needs a new exhaust gasket. the quad fires on the first pull every time but when i hit the starter button it just whirls the motor over and don't even try 2 fire????? and the rockers sound a lil noisy how do u tell it the timing chain is just 2 wore out?
thanks anthony

you need a new starter clutch,,, that will fix the starting problem.... i still need to change mine! lol

that or you have a weak ass battery. Check the tooth count on your cam chain tensioner to see if your cam chain is stretched any.

most likely the starter clutch, not much of a clutch, but its really just like a coaster hub on a bike, when the starter motor turns its like pedaling, when the engine turns its like pedaling backward. but, you should remove the stator cover (you'll have to remove pull starter, and crank bolt (17mm) holding the catch-sheath) then just make sure the gear running between the starter clutch and motor is still there (I'm going to remove mine since i do pull starter only) but they could of removed that, if every things there, just spin the gear on the stator around and see if you can find if it turns one way, and not the other.

and FYI for anyone who doesn't know: when you shut your engine off and it knocks, its the engine spinning then hitting the compression stroke then not having enough momentum carrying it around so it goes back wards there for engaging the starter clutch. so its normal, (i use to think something was wrong before i tore into it) ???

back fire on de-cel .. sound like a carb issue clean the piss out if it if it still does it up ur pilot jet

just a startin point

tore the carb off yesterday and cleaned the **** out of it it stopped the backfiring it just has little pops now on decel only after wot sounds like its just burning off some unburned fuel in the exhaust and the plug shows its runnin a lil rich so im gonna do some tunin today and see what i can come up with

as far as i can tell its all stock except for the cobra exaust but it seems to run good it just stumbles once and a while when i mash the throttle off idle. but i pulled the plug and its lookin like its gettin to much fuel

on a good note tho the starter clutch is good the old starter is just done for so i got a new one on the way. i borrowed the starter of my friends 350 and she fired right up ;D

got the popping to stop today all it took was a new header gasket...runs like a damn raped ape!!!! still a lil noise coming from the rockers tho but i double checked the tappets and adjusted it all to spec so i think that thats just how shes gonna sound. just sounds like a lil tick nothing major. now its time to go do some test for a test ride!!!!

Back