Just doesn't run right --need help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithd

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a real hard time tuning my warrior up. I just cannot get it to work right! I've tried jetting from 145 to 155 and it makes NO DIFFERENCE. I've done several wide open plug chops and the plug is always dry and blackish. Same with needle clip. I've moved it from leanest to rich and no difference. It runs but not very well, especially under load...I can rev it to max and completely let go of the clutch and it'll kind of jerk and then slowly acclerate. I'm new to this whole four wheeling thing but i'd like to think this thing should be able to spin the tires in mud and wet grass. Idling is off too, i've tried the screw at 1 turn all the way to 3 turns and it makes no difference whatsoever, it's like this carb is not even attached to the bike. It has some trouble starting unless I pump the throttle, which I assume means it does not have enough fuel (a few pumps from the acclerator pump and it fires up). Because it is an 87, it has a smaller "starter jet" according to my clymer. Just what in the heck is a starter jet?It misses at idle and misses all the way up. Mods are KN filter, DG pipe, and some holes in the air box. Gas is new, spark plug is new, valve clearence is perfect.

One thing is the spark plug wire. It is hard plastic and feels "loose" to me. Regardless if this is the problem or not I'm going to replace it as it just doesn't feel right too me.

What else could I be looking for? Could the ignition timing be out? Is it even adjustable? Perhaps compression is down? Is it not getting enough fuel? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Check the boot between the carb and the head, sounds like you might be sucking in some air. Also pull your carb off and clean it out real good if you didn't already.

yea mine used to be like that and i found out i had a hole in the boot that connects from the carb to the head. so just check around the boot and make sure its tight against the carb and the head and like troy said clean the carb if u havent already.

ALright I'll take the boot off and do a thorough inspection. I really hope that is what it is...

What benefit would premium gas offer?

Did it always run like this? One possibility would be that the previous owner had a high compression piston put in, which requires higher octane to run properly.

ALright I'll take the boot off and do a thorough inspection. I really hope that is what it is...

What benefit would premium gas offer?
in some situations itll make it run better but u can still run regular. even in the manual it says to run premium gas in it.

Back