Issue with starter/bearing

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemm1002

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2002 warrior. Has an issue starting. I've searched around but haven't found an exact answer to help me figure out exactly what the issue is. Starter itself was replaced last year. It works, you can hear it spinning. I even pulled the side cover and verified yes it's turning.

Now with the side cover installed it just sounds like it's free wheeling and not turning over the bottom end. So when I pulled the side cover I removed the starter and the gears that the starter spins. Left the flywheel attached for now. Like this you can turn the gear mounted behind the flywheel one way, and only one way, but it's far from smooth. You have the apply pressure to get it to spin, not like it's really smooth. Is that normal? Or should it be very smooth going the one "free wheel" direction?

Then is it possible that the bearing only spins one way but still won't allow it the start?

I just hate to spend the money on a new bearing and gear if I'm missing something else.

Thanks for any advice.

If some could verify for me. Motor turns counter clockwise (looking at it from the flywheel side).

I pulled the cover and clicked the starter. Stated turns, idler gear turns, gear behind the flywheel turns but flywheel doesn't. Guess the bearing is junk. Waiting on the flywheel puller to show up to see how bad it is.

Sounds like a bad oneway bearing to me. Yes, the motor turns in the counterclockwise direction when looking at it from the flywheel side.

Back