Is Riding Wheelies for everyone?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar1

Reaction score
I have a few friends who can ride wheelies for as long as they have room, but I still struggle to master this skill. Is it one of those things that some people just have a knack for it or can anyone master it with enough practice?

I have dirtbikes a street bike and quads and have been riding for 35 years and I can't master it lol. Its just one of those things some guys are great at there the ones you see on streetbikes riding on there front wheels while braking now that's crazy lmao!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Yeah thats kind of what I was beginning to think. It just looks so cool and its a good way to show off as long as you don't wreck haha

The balance point on the 350's is almost straight up which makes it a lot harder, I can ride them as long as I almost want on my 660 but the 350 is a lot harder, The easiest quad ive ever rode wheelies on was a 300ex a friend had, The thing was made for wheelies

I feel safer on my warrior doing them than i do on my 700 just because of the slower speed than it comes up i guess. I can halfway do them if i put my left foot in the grab bar and keep my right on the peg.

I know what ya mean about the speed change, As long as I got my foot on the rear brake I feel comfortable but the 350 is almost straight up and It always feels sketchy lol

You gotta just get past the fear. When you get to your balance point you feel it. The quads lighter then you just gotta work on gas and brake if you start going back use back brakes a little drag.front starts coming down use gas. I do mine dead stop pop in 2nd.

Yea I couldn't get my warrior up when I tried. But the day I got my 400ex I popped it right up and rode it for a little. Almost hit a parked car too haha.

imo yes, it just takes practice and commitment. Honestly i feel that everyone should learn how to do it because it helps you know your quad better. I've been wheeling my warrior since 04

Practice, practice, practice. That is all I can say. I'm not a huge fan of wheelies, but, I like pulling them while going down a trail and there is a dip or a bump. The Warrior is heavy in the front end so it doesn't inspire confidence when you go nearly vertical. Hondas were made for wheelies!!!!! My sister's 250ex will pop right up in 1st or 2nd. I bought and sold a 400ex and that bike has near perfect balance! My uncle can ride a wheelie on any quad. And shift through all the gears doing it. Dude is an extremely talented rider. If you want a quad that is scary to wheelie, get on an old Mojave. You have to clutch the front end up, but, the swingarm is so short it goes right on the grab bar. lol. Nearly fucked myself up last weekend. Haha! Some of the more powerful quads are actually easier to learn on because you can power wheelie, and it has enough power to just carry the front end. Unlike the more under powered quads that you have to use your weight to keep it up. On the bigger quads you can lean more forward to keep the front end right where you want it, while using the power to keep it off the ground. Leaning forward is a more natural use of your body when riding.

I'm still not comfortable doing wheelies on my warrior. I used to wheelie the **** outta my old 250 sx back in the day, but the warrior is just too sketchy for my liking. I can pop mine up easy in 2nd and ride it about 30 to 35 feet but thats about it. Anything farther than that and I start to remember I'm almost 41 now and have 3 titanium rods holding my lower back together and then I set her back down, lol. It is good to practice and be able to do a wheelie as it will definitely come in handy for trail riding.

Honestly man I don't tempt injury over wheelies but I can usually handle the wheelie ok if it happens or if I need to lift the front for something. I started out in Blasters......Badass Blasters, so I had to learn. Now I have the 700 & it's a multi gear wheelie session everytime you hit the throttle lol!

Honestly man I don't tempt injury over wheelies but I can usually handle the wheelie ok if it happens or if I need to lift the front for something. I started out in Blasters......Badass Blasters, so I had to learn. Now I have the 700 & it's a multi gear wheelie session everytime you hit the throttle lol!

I fell the same way^^^ Not going to injure myself just because I want to show off. There is no real reason to even wheelie, except to pop over a trail obstacle. Going to be very interesting to see how the X turns out....

I fell the same way^^^ Not going to injure myself just because I want to show off. There is no real reason to even wheelie, except to pop over a trail obstacle.

ya? if i didn't know how my quad was going to react when i popped up the front i wouldn't be able to get across this obstacle in a timely manor . i am actually coming down at this point, there was a very hard left turn directly after this.

562314_10201890803211286_841299433_n_zps1a9466c1.jpg

^^^^^ I'm saying there is no reason to ride wheelies. Yes you need to know how your quad reacts, and how you need to balance it, ride it, etc... But, there is just about no reason to actually ride a wheelie, other then to show that you can. I pull the front end up all the time on when I ride, to conquer obstacles, and to make the ride easier on myself and even the quad.

I think he's just saying riding wheelies helps him be comfortable with his balance on it.

Last edited:
More than 10 years riding quads and I still don't feel confident to do a wheelie. But I think it is easier when you have an engine with power enough to start a wheelie properly... I mean, with both feet in the pegs without using the grab bar.
Also if you have power you can try power/bounce wheelies, instead of using the clutch.

Back