Is it my solenoid?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaz9291

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time no see (or talk lol) today I bought a new battery on my Warrior, and was excpeting to see her fire up, well it didn't, so I attempted the thing with screw driver in between the two bolts on the solenoid, and the engine started right up, turned it off, tried it again and now the engine is turning, but won't turn over, if I play with the choke and stuff a bit I'm sure she'll start up, but before I go buying a new solenoid can someone confirm for me that it is in fact the solenoid? Thanks so much.

Update:
Well I realized I had very little gas, thats why the engine didnt start up right away, so I poured in some gas and with the screw driver it started up again, but my neutral light didn't turn on.

Is it a bad solenoid or a bad connection leading to the solenoid?

It could be either, you have to do some more troubleshooting to find out. I had something short out in mine that ended up burning up both the wiring and the starter button. You have to get a test light or volt meter and find out if you're getting voltage at the small wire on the solenoid when you push the start button.

You can also jump the + side of the battery to that small terminal on the solenoid and see if it kicks over. That'll check and see if the solenoid is working.

Some other information is that I get no light on my neutral or reverse light, and when I use the screw driver to turn it on the neutral light begins to blink rapidly as the engine is turning. Could that be a sign of anything?

When you turn the key on do you hear the relay click next to the solenoid?

Does anything else show a sign of life? Headlights and tail light work?

From what I remember, no the lights don't work, and I don't believe there is any click from the relay, I remember there used to be, back like a few weeks ago, but now it's nothing, when I turn the key literally nothing happens it's as if the key was never turned. Oh, and I can start the quad from the solenoid without even having to move the witch to "run" or turning the key, is that normal?

Let's clarify this... Can you start the engine without turning the key on, or can you just jump out the solenoid and make it crank with the key off? Jumping the solenoid will always make the engine crank, but it should only start with the key on and the kill switch in the run position.

I don't think you're getting power to any of your electronics. No relay click, no lights, no spark, i'm thinking you shorted something out when you jumped the solenoid, and blew the fuse out. Open up that fuse holder, I bet you find a smoked fuse in it.

YamaRider said:
Let's clarify this... Can you start the engine without turning the key on, or can you just jump out the solenoid and make it crank with the key off? Jumping the solenoid will always make the engine crank, but it should only start with the key on and the kill switch in the run position.

yes please clarify this... theres a big different between starting and just cranking

Hmm I think it only cranks I'm gonna have to check. Oh and I'm going to sound like a total noob when I say this, but where is the fuse holder?

the fuse holder should be there attached either under the relays on the same side as the solenoid or attached there somewhere along the frame rail. I think stock should be a tube style fuse. I converted mine to a tooth style fuse and holder, you get a better connection that way.

It was my fuse... I had a back-up fuse, replaced it, and I wasted 40 bucks on a solenoid I ordered online a few days ago, I'm gonna go check on there return policy... Thanks so much for the help guys.

Back