i think that i just blew my motor

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior333

Reaction score
well i thought that its been sounding funny like with a ratteling in the top end then my dad said he thought it sounded fine i was just hearing thins well i put it all back together and started it up and it was clanking and went down my driveway came back and went halfway backdown and it just stalled out so i went to start it back up again and it sounds to me like it has no compression so i think that either the rings and piston or the rings are shot do you think i am rite

Almost exactly what happened to me. I Believe I had a stuck valve. I managed to suck some paper towel into the motor when I was working on it.

A sudden and complete loss in compression would most likely be something in the valvetrain... such as a stuck valve like mentioned. Didnt you just adjust the valves? Maybe you got them too tight...(way to tight) and bent a valve... that or didnt tighten something... could be something simple.

First step is to pull the valves covers and check the valve operation.

how do i check the valve operation and i didnt mess with the valves just the timming and it is the same place i always put it which is a tooth behiind the line because it wonnt linr up perfect either a tooth forward or a tooth behind and if its a tooth forward it dont run right. it kinda sounded like the noise was comming from the valves. man this suxs i was supposed to go rideing saturday and today is the only day that i can work on it

Pull the valve covers and crank the motor over.. also check the tolerances while in there. Sounds to me like you may have just lost a valve tappet.

ill tear in to it hopefully sat at the latest but im not sure ill let yall know wha it is

well i feel retarted i started looking at it and looked at the valves and the werent moving so i looked at the timeing chain and sproket and realized that the bolt had came loose and the sproket was just sitting on the threads of the bolt so i tightened it up and it started right up. this is after i already took all the front plastic off and all the motor mount bolts off and the exhaust off so i had to put it all back together before i could run it thanx for the help guys

why it wasnt messed up i put a small dab of red locktite on it and torqued it to what i could with out holding back the motor which normally works fine thanks for the help guys

It should be fine.... im glad it turned out to be something simple like i said..

I was right when i said it was a valve train issue haha.

well guys any ideas with my problem? i went riding all day at brushy ridge in astora IL and about 2 hours in i had a loud ticing noise in the valve area. so i got it back to the truck started messing with it and found that the one of the lock nuts one the rocker arm was off (i was lucky enough to find it) i readjusted the clearance to 6 thousands intake and exhaust but the sound was still their??? it wasnt so loud but still audable i all so heard a 350 raptor and it sounded vary quiet compaired to mine.....buy the way i have a 97 warrior all stock. Thanks Avery

These are just noisy engines. Yours is 11 years old, i wouldn't expect it to be as quiet as a brand new one. Raptor 350's also have some differences in the valvetrain, so that could be part of it as well.

yea i have a loud ticking noise in mine to its def the valves tho

I lost a valve adjusting screw and nut in my engine and it had a nasty whirllling sound...It still ran ok though...

mine is verry loud, but i do my valves and check things often, i have never had a engine problem (everything else though)

your sloppy on the intake -Ok on the exhaust

intake is .0023-.0039" ----- .16-.2mm.

I usually hit it at .002

Back