I hate carbuertors...seriously

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barncat

Reaction score
I hate carbuertors..PART DEUX!!!!

So, today my brother and I were doing plug chops on his bike, and it seems just too inconclusive.

So, I'm about to Airbox mod my bike, and depending on what Outerwears I ordered(long story), I'm either going to cut my lid, and mod the cover to the lid and oil the filter or Wrap my factory filter with it and cut my lid. I don't see anything wrong with the dual layer factory foam.

My problem is, I'm used to working with Carbs on a vehicle, and know the diagnosis to go with. Right now, I know that I need more air, because when I pin the throttle, it hesitates, and at W.O.T. it cuts out.
Plug color looks good right now. Not to dark, or to light. A good light brown.

I have no clue what jet is in it now, but I am running a DG pipe, which is essentially open. I'm not sure if I need to re-jet, but if I do(here is the question)...What is recommended for this setup. I don't want to be buying 20 jets to use one.
We ride at appx. 900ft above sea level 99.9999999999999999999% of the time. Surely there is a plug/pipe/ai combo that is proven. We'll assume(for now) That the motor is stock.

As far as the chops go, we were looking at the top of the insulator for color change(like any other plug). Some guys are saying look at the base ring, electrode, and insulator, some say "no" to the insulator, I say WTF!

Can anybody get me close to home?????

ETA: Also what is the recommended NGK plug? 7e or 8e. Some cocksucker put a Champion in this poor thing, so I wanna get the right stuff.

Last edited:
lol carbs havnt been on cars for years now your old school eh.. nice. i have a cobra bike with the packing blown out of it and i live in canada. my main jet is like 37 ish i wana say. stock air box with just a k&n.. oh one more this is the accelerator pump siezed/ sticky. happened to mine. mine sputterd at WOT u just took it out used fine sand paper and it was golden. dont know if this helps of not

Sadly, my last carburerated truck moved on last year. It was a Beastly 85 chevy 3/4ton, with Holley 600, into an Edelbrock Preformer, Black Jack headers into Glasspacks going straight out.
Now I'm stuck with 4 Carbed quads, and a Carbed Goldwing.
**** my luck

did you do the clicker pen mod? Change your spring on the acell. pump to one out of clicker pen. As for jets stock pilot jet is 42.5 and is lean from the factory. Stock main jet is a 145 you should be good with a 150 or 147.5 main jet. and I'd up your pilot to a 45. Start rich then go to lean. fine tune it with the air/fuel screw. Start out with the screw 2 to 2.5 turns out and go from there. Jets cost about 4 dollers each at an atv shop. Before buying any pull your bowl and see what you got in there. Also give it a good cleaning while your in there

As far as the chops go, we were looking at the top of the insulator for color change(like any other plug). Some guys are saying look at the base ring, electrode, and insulator, some say "no" to the insulator, I say WTF!

You're right.
Read the insulator.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Personally, i'd rather have a slightly rich engine and work towards lean, rather than the other way around. A little safer that way. But that's just me.

Last edited:
did you do the clicker pen mod? Change your spring on the acell. pump to one out of clicker pen. As for jets stock pilot jet is 42.5 and is lean from the factory. Stock main jet is a 145 you should be good with a 150 or 147.5 main jet. and I'd up your pilot to a 45. Start rich then go to lean. fine tune it with the air/fuel screw. Start out with the screw 2 to 2.5 turns out and go from there. Jets cost about 4 dollers each at an atv shop. Before buying any pull your bowl and see what you got in there. Also give it a good cleaning while your in there

i have heard nothing of this before??!?!?!?!?!? more info please...

clicker pen spring gets rid of that hesitation when you stab the gas. Better all around throttle resonse and all you need to do is take the bowl off and swap the spring

OK, I have the jets in, and this is my result so far.(modded lid, clicker spring installed)
- Main Jet 150, fuel Mix screw out 2 turns, bike cuts out at the upper ends of the powerband.
- Main jet 147.5 fuel mix out 2 turns, haven't noticed the cut out in the upper end yet.
- when I pin it from a dead stop, it acts like I'm loading up the carb, and bogging down. My pilot is still a 42.5.
If I let off the throttle, and re-pin, it will recover and launch.
- Bike is definitely a new beast. As long as I'm not going to cut out at the top-end again, I'll be happy

- when I pin it from a dead stop, it acts like I'm loading up the carb, and bogging down. My pilot is still a 42.5.
If I let off the throttle, and re-pin, it will recover and launch.
- Bike is definitely a new beast. As long as I'm not going to cut out at the top-end again, I'll be happy
that could be becaause of low idle, try turning it up a hair.

Makes sense. I just HAD to turn the idle down a tad.

Back