Howdy Doody! from SW-MI

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egtx03

Reaction score
Hello All! Been doing some reading here for awhile now, I figured I had better post so i dont look like a slacker.. LOL

im 25, live in southwest michigan, in sturgis (bout an hour south of kalamazoo), i ride and play in bronson at one of my friends house & acreage.

anyways purpose on being here obviously is i own an 87 warrior. Im currently in process of rebuilding it due to some nasty noises from inside the crank case & some marking on the piston on the skirt which in turn scratched the cylinder a little but nothing a little TLC cant take care of!!!

this quad was rolled once & before the roll ran perfect, but after..... not so much... i picked it up for 400 bucks from my friends brother actually.

i think the roll did some sort of damage, but what kind of damage would a roll have caused internal engine wise?

the noise is audibly coming from the main input shaft that the clutch resides on....

Well i hope this gives you a little insight as to what im tackleing!

ENjoy and i will def. be back!

Welcome to the site holmés! A simple roll shouldn't to anything to the engine? Unless something was loose in here to begin with.

how long was it upside down before the guy woke up? haha maybe if something was broke and laying in the bottom of the motor it might have then got up into a gear or something... i dunno thats an odd one

well, he told me that as soon as it rolled (left side up in the air as you sit on the quad) it shut off. Before i took it apart it ran but something was "off" it sounded like valve noise, but i have since checked everything tolerance wise from head down to the block which im working on right now....

i have yet to find any damage of any kind,
gears are off right side,
clutch is off, starter is out,
starter gears are out

i can duplicate the noise by hand if i put my hand on the input shaft(clutch) and twist (is if engine was running) back and forth i can hear an audible clunk (metal/metal) contact that sounds exactly like what it sounded like when it ran with no power... timing was checked... i could make the noise stop if i manually moved the shift star on the right side while i was twisting the shaft... which is what makes me think it is something on the input shaft/transmission end of the engine... eveything else has checked out...?

after i tested the engine, and it ran like ****, i changed the oil and filter, it had almost powder like metal shavings in it....?!? scary but its a project...lol

comp test showed 125 before i took it apart. but piston shows scrapes on the one side, so im going to replace it because it does not look in good condition below the oil ring.

im at the point where im ready to pull the flywheel but i dont want to have to buy the stupid tool for 40+ bucks to just use this one time hopefully... lol

we'll see im still investigating everything.... any suggestions to check ? or how to get the stupid flywheel off! lol it says the case cant be split in the service manual without taking it off, but i alsmot see no reason why it can be just to be inspected?

thanks !
Erik

just put a motocyclo engine in it, lol. but i cant quite understand exactly what the noise is liek, but id guess maybe somthing like the crank bearings or somthing like that went out.

is the forward/ reverse lever just barely catching and clicking the dogs on the gear?... that a tuff one to diagnose over the internet

well upon further investigation, it seems as tho the forward/reverse was slightly off while diagnosing...as well as the gear shift star thing.....(slightly between gears?!?!) i can duplicate the noise as well as make it stop... so i reassembled the motor, torqued to spec and voila, no noise.....

so im going to take a chance and put a new piston in it and put it back in the frame & start it and see what i get..... the nuts on the gears werent even torqued to spec, i took each one off by hand after i took the lock washer off.... so im thinking that was the issue... it just wasnt tight.... torqued to spec and no noises at all!!!!

shifts thru gears better by hand as well as everything turning.... smooth as silk!!! i hope i dodged a bullet!! lol :)

so im going to take a chance and throw it back together! :)

Thanks everyone for helping tho!! i will post some news as soon as i get my piston & gasket set monday! wOOt.....

Back