How Hot Do these machines run???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorRider80

Reaction score
So i've had my Warrior since this past summer BUT today was my first all day ride at a local state park. My question is, how hot do Warriors usually run? Seems like mine was super hot today, maybe im just paranoid. I grew up on 2 strokes liquid cooled machines, so maybe this is normal. I'm not running lean but as the day went on it seemed like i started getting a tick or slick knock to the motor. No loss of power, clutch still grabbed great, no smoke no backfires, nothing, I just cant get over how hot the entire engine seemed too be. Like i said, paranoid? You guys have way more experience with these than I do. Just need some "expert" input. Things i should be looking out for and such. Thanks guys

they get up there in temp, some of us have shrouds to direct air to the motor, weston heat wraped his pipe, but they do run hot and the shrouds help alot!

yeah i was thinking about doing the heat wrap but the exhaust I expect to be hot, but it trips me out when like my clutch cover is hot to the point where its like touching the exhaust, I understand that thats the oil coming back from the motor but my cousins Predator doesnt get nearly as hot, then again thats liquid cooled so like i said i guess its just new to me. Gotta get used to this air cooled stuff...LOL. Guess I'll add the oil cooler to the list of mods/maintenance coming up. Thanks for the reply

Well you can get a temp gun for reading the head temps if your really worried.. Like the R/C ones only run around $20 bucks.
From my experience with air cooled engines. (specifically 2 strokes)
You don't want the head to get any hotter than 250 degrees. Thats where the aluminum will start breaking down, and it can cuase warping.
My 490 runs around 225-235.. So I would have to guess that a 4 stroke should be under that, maybe around 200 or a bit lower.

Thats what i'm thinking it feels like. Like i said, not running lean, fresh oil change. What would cause it to overheat besides low speed which I had plenty of high speed air while riding today

since I've done the clutch cover oil cooler mod I can hold my bare hand on the clutch cover after it gets to operating temp where before it would burn my hand instantly

and it can be done for less than $50 so it's worth it and cheaper and better than the big bear oil cooler mod

Back