how do you break in a top end

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use conventional engine oil. Follow the camshaft mfg's break-in instructions. If there are none, call the manufacturer and ask. Don't let it just idle, vary the engine speed so the rings will seat. Also, a few good whacks of the throttle to near wide open (not in succession) won't hurt. It will also need several cool down cycles during break in. Biggest thing is to follow the cam's break in procedure. Light riding is the best after cam break in for complete engine break in.

What's wrong with synthetic for breaking in an engine? Other than price of course.

What's wrong with synthetic for breaking in an engine? Other than price of course.

The additives in synthetic give too much lubrication on the cylinder walls for break in and the rings will never seat properly resulting in an engine that smokes all the time. Plus you need break in oil to get the cam lobes hardened so you dont wear the lobes off. Believe it or not the cam lobes harden during break in and if you use regular oil or synthetic during the break in process the lobes will not harden and wear down. In an automobile engine you will either eat the cam lobes down or wear into the bottom of the lifters or both.

I do think that they make a synthetic break in oil. I may be wrong though. It'd probably be stupid expensive if it was available, lol. Cam lobes do harden during break in, namely on the cool down cycles (hardening). It depends on the type of cam as to what oil will be needed, and any break in additives. Hydraulic flat tappet cams require break in time, as do mechanical, and they need a break in additive as well. The Warrior cam is mechanical. A good quality atv oil is usually fine for break in. Always use a quality assembly lube.

so pretty much put some assembly lube on the cam (fyi i am getting a stage 1 hotcam) and use the regular oil i run in my four wheeler which is http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/valvolinereg;-atv-4-stroke-motor-oil-10w45;40 and i heard that you should change the oil till till the oil doesnt sparkle i think that is correct but correct me if i am wrong. and about how many hours in between oil changes right after break in/ during break in.

Change the oil after each tank of gas. By the third oil change you wont have the glitter in there.

That oil is fine to use. I use it when I run out of Honda oil. Change the oil and filter AFTER THE CAM BREAK IN. Any particles from the break in, as well as any debris that may have been left in the engine, will then be drained. You also want clean oil in the engine after the cam break in anyway. After that, I change it again at about 5-10 hours.

Back