Hot exaust temp.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster tails

Reaction score
I have a 99 warrior bone stock and the other day I had aan issue where the gas tank sounded like it was boiling, I used a laser temp gun and checked the head temp and at idle it was showing 247 degrees, when I used the temp gun on the exaust pipe right where it comes out of the head I was getting a reading of 712 degree That sounds way to hot right? The compression test showed 148 psi with the throttle open and leak down test showed 12 percent leak down, the piolot air screw is 3.5 turns out. Does anyone have any advice?

Bump the pilot up a half size and don't let it idle so long, these are air cooled machines so no air flow, no cooling so temps only get higher.

I had the same problem monster, I upped my pilot like weston said and bingo problem solved. Going to be doing to oil cooler mod and adding a fan soon!

Thanks for the response, am I correct in being worried about the exaust out of the head being to hot? Has enyone ever checked the pipe temp right out if the head? It gets hot real quick. I think the head temp at 248 is ok right? what size piolot jet did you guys use? I would love to do the oil cooler mod but I wish someone sold all the parts as a kit, it is a little to involved for me to tackle.

Ehh I have no idea how high my exhaust temps are. I've gotten walle over 340* at the head with no valve train failures yet. That brunt said I have gotten the exhaust can hot enough to melt the rubber grommets that hold it on... So I've probably gotten around 1100 degree exhaust gasses before but I push mine harder then 99% of riders ever will push a warrior.

Back