Holy Smokes!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlord

Reaction score
I have noticed lately since I switched to amsoil that I keep having to add oil. This was the case again today so I added some and went out for a ride. I got stuck extremely bad and while I was lifting from the back I noticed that I was blowing tons of blue smoke out the exhaust. I have never seen this thing smoke and it seems to have just started, it stank like oil. When I revved it up it would shoot a cloud of smoke out and at idle it would smoke too. It also seemed to be running a bit off. Anyways, i got unstuck after about an hour of enraged lifting and pulling and rode for about 5 minutes home. When I got home it wasn't smoking at all. What do you guys think this could be? I was thinking maybe a sticking valve or something.

Thanks

your valves have alot to do with oil they have a seals they ride on. they are called valves seals. the rings are probaly not your problem. if i am not mistaken blue smoke may be gas and not oil. i would pull the plug and see what it looks like.

piston rings, your vlaves have nothing to do with the oil, or piston cseals one or the other

Theres alot of oil that sits up there in that head the valves seals keep it from the piston.

Mine sometimes lets out a puff of smoke on deacceleration, not enough that ive ever worried about it.

But to fix your problem look to seals, or piston rings, could be either or, or maybe a thicker oil is in order.

Blue Smoke = Burning oil.
Black Smoke = To much Fuel
White Smoke = Water

*Antifreeze/Coolant = Often white smoke with a sweet smell to it.

If she stops smoking after riding (when she heats up good) it’s probably valve seals.

If she smokes all the time it’s probably your piston rings.

If she smokes only a little just when you start it up it’s either worn out rings (smoking a little cause of oil seeping past the rings as she sits) or valve seals as well.

How much oil did you put in? It is possible you put way to much oil in and the burn off you saw was because of this... The amsoil won’t cause any problems that weren’t already there - if she’s smoking you need to re-ring and seal (do both while you’re at it - cheap and easy).

*Dont let it go to the point of shattering a piston if it is rings - then you will have to crack open the case and a 1 hour job becomes several. As long as your sleeve has no deep gouges in it and the piston looks ok you can get away with a ball hone and re-ringing. Also while the top end is off its a good idea to check out the play in the rod!

With a full gasket set (with valve seals) and some rings from Yamaha it shouldnt cost you more then 60-70 bucks. You should break the motor in on normal motor oil and switch to Synthetic around 15-20 hours.

[quote author=admin board=quadrelated thread=1162420291 post=1162487979]Blue Smoke = Burning oil.
White Smoke = Water

My quad smoke some times white and theres no water in it...

Blue Smoke = Burning oil.

If she smokes only a little just when you start it up it’s either worn out rings (smoking a little cause of oil seeping past the rings as she sits) or valve seals as well.
Death your a quad genius, don't take this the wrong way!
I did not know oil can seep upwards into the cylinder past the rings while sitting.

[quote:8rnuhdfp]piston rings, your vlaves have nothing to do with the oil, or piston cseals one or the other

wtf is a piston seal? :p ???[/quote:8rnuhdfp]

you know what i mean i meant a head gasket

[quote author=atv board=quadrelated thread=1162420291 post=1162498925][quote author=admin board=quadrelated thread=1162420291 post=1162487979]Blue Smoke = Burning oil.
White Smoke = Water

My quad smoke some times white and theres no water in it

.... prob just steam cause its cold.... steam fades quickly, smoke doesnt fade

The whole thing struck me as odd because it just started smoking like crazy all of the sudden and then after a bit it was gone. I only added about 150 ml of oil before the ride because it was at the lowest line. My engine was plenty warm when it began smoking because I had been riding for over 30 mins already. Come to think of it, just before I got stuck I crossed a river that was very high and its possible I sucked some in through the uni vents and up through that drain hole in the bottom of the box. The mud I was stuck in was very wet too because I was about 2 feet from the river. It didn't smoke when I ran it today so maybe it was only a bit of water after all. I hope so anyways.

[quote author=admin board=quadrelated thread=1162420291 post=1162487979]Blue Smoke = Burning oil.
White Smoke = Water

My quad smoke some times white and theres no water in it...

Steam/Condensation build up (water) in the Exhaust...

The whole thing struck me as odd because it just started smoking like crazy all of the sudden and then after a bit it was gone. I only added about 150 ml of oil before the ride because it was at the lowest line. My engine was plenty warm when it began smoking because I had been riding for over 30 mins already. Come to think of it, just before I got stuck I crossed a river that was very high and its possible I sucked some in through the uni vents and up through that drain hole in the bottom of the box. The mud I was stuck in was very wet too because I was about 2 feet from the river. It didn't smoke when I ran it today so maybe it was only a bit of water after all. I hope so anyways.

Synthetic Oil will get past worn out rings/valve seals/other places normal oil wouldnt get through on a "mature" motor. If the smoke was blue its most def oil - sometimes depending on the light source available white smoke can be mistaken for blue. It could be just some water.

You will know by the god awful smell if it is oil burning!! Peeeeeeeeyeeeeeeeew

Back