highest comp piston

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headache

Reaction score
Hey guys whats the highest compression piston made for the warrior? I know j.e. makes a 12:1. Is there anything higher? I've thought about building a woods bike with alot of comp, and other high torque ideas.. How much compression is the CWR 400 kit piston? could i machine the head a little with the 12:1 and get around 13:1. I'd be running an oil cooler and maybe a fan also if i did this. would the starter even work at 13:1? lol

i seen one somewhere that claimed 14:1 comp. but he had a freakin HUGE pop up piston and the head shaved with a custom super thin head gasket. he told me the valves only cleard by a few mm which IMO is to close for comfort for me

headache said:
Hey guys whats the highest compression piston made for the warrior? I know j.e. makes a 12:1. Is there anything higher? I've thought about building a woods bike with alot of comp, and other high torque ideas.. How much compression is the CWR 400 kit piston? could i machine the head a little with the 12:1 and get around 13:1. I'd be running an oil cooler and maybe a fan also if i did this. would the starter even work at 13:1? lol

If you want torque then I say stroker kit. I personally wouldn't go with a hotrods anymore because I've heard that all there kits are only a +4mm. Not enough worth going through the trouble.
From what I've read there was a Aries piston that I beleive was a 13:1 or 12.5:1 from what I remember. You would have to run race gas and maybe even back the ignition timing back. It would be cool though.
What you could also do is buy say a 12:1 JE or 10.5:1 and have the head shaved and bring the deck height down by using thinner gaskets or shaving the cylinder which would raise compression. Don't go below .040" of deck from piston to top of the head, gaskets included. If you then shave the the head for smaller combustion chamber that will up the compression as well.
I'm getting 200 psi cranking compression on 10.5:1 JE piston but still have room to bring the deck down. I beieve I have .065" now. Which I will over the winter.
CWR makes great kits but I would recomend getting the stroker if having to bore the cases out with his big bore kit.
Also remember that when you start playing with thinner head gaskets, lowering deck heights, shaving cylinder heads and juggs you will have to get a adjustable cam sproket to bring back the cam timing as the head moving down. I'm having to advance my timing by 7.5 degrees just to get the cam pin to line up with the factory mark on the head at TDC.
Cometic will make you any gaskets you want and I've used them many of times.
Make sure to check piston to valve clearances as the piston might have to be fly cut for the valves.
Also something else to understand is more bore, more compression. So if you get the 12:1 JE at 83mm bore it will have less cranking compression then say a 12:1 JE at 85mm bore.

Good luck!
Jason

thanks man. Race fuel is no problem. I have a shop in my town that sells 114octane turbo blue. I have to run a mix of it in my lt250r so why not in a warrior too? I'll see if i can find the aries piston. I have full access to machine shop as i work in one, so milling the head and flycutting pistons wouldn't be a problem. If i can't find anything else i may just do the 12:1 je 85mm bore, with a thinner headgasket..

headache said:
thanks man. Race fuel is no problem. I have a shop in my town that sells 114octane turbo blue. I have to run a mix of it in my lt250r so why not in a warrior too? I'll see if i can find the aries piston. I have full access to machine shop as i work in one, so milling the head and flycutting pistons wouldn't be a problem. If i can't find anything else i may just do the 12:1 je 85mm bore, with a thinner headgasket..

Dude totally awesome!
That piston will really help bottom end torque. You can also but a very big cam in it and the benefits will be far greater then say an engine with less compression. Also won't give up the bottom end as much.
I think you can get .040" of deck clearance no problem with just thinner head gaskets, no machining. I'm going to try for it over the winter.

Back