herculine on frame?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91dime

Reaction score
I am going to sandblast my warrior frame and prime it. I would rather not spray enamel paint on it. I was thinking about using hurculine, what do you guys think?

Never seen it done before but sounds cool. Might add some extra weight but not much. Let us all know how it goes.

Well Im not real worried about weight, the lighter the better, but I figure I can shave some weight somewhere else to make up for it. It should be pretty durable. I would really like to get colors rather than black, but herculiner only makes it in black I think.

While I have the frame down to nothing I am going to go over some of the welds. Also the idot who had the bike before me ran the wrong bolts in every hole that holds the fenders down so I will have to tap some new threads I guess.

i had to have my welds gone over too on my frame. there at the swing are the welds welds and even some of the piping were starting to break so i had it weld, cant tell but holding stong for 3 years now

I don't think heculiner is a good choice, for several reasons. Mostly because of how coarse it is, where your boots rub along the side of the frame by the pegs, it would just cheese grate your clothing all to hell. You'd also have to do a lot of prep work or clean up work because anywhere that has a tight fit on the frame, like the a-arm mounts, engine mounts, and pretty much every bolt hole would turn into a big pain in the ass with that thick gritty liner in there. And especially if you get the cheaper spray on stuff, (i'm not sure about the herculiner brand product) it really never impressed me with durability, it chips just like regular paint. Touch up would also be an interesting task to pull off, you'd never be able to get it to look right again after it gets scraped up without stripping off an entire section and re-lining it. I think paint is the way to go. It's cheap and easy to patch up, so it's not really a big deal if it chips or wears off every once in a while.

I just want something that will hold up and look good. I can powder coat, but I am limited to how big it can be because of the size of my oven. so a frame is out the question now. Also, I have been told that powder coating a frame is hard to do because of the oils getting into the frame tubes over the years running out when you bake it, but i dont know. there is a local place that does industrial stuff, they could do it for me.

About the paint, if you guys can recomend something that will look good and hold up pretty good please let me know. I will go with paint if I can get something that will hold up better than a spray can. I could always go with single stage enamel.

When i painted my frame i used truck bed liner only on the bottom frame rails... I stripped the whole frame down to bare metal, then i sprayed the bed liner on the bottom of the frame i didnt bother masking it off or anything just flipped over the frame and sprayed about 5 coats on. Then i primed the whole frame including the bed liner underside and then i sprayed my color 3 coats ( i used rustoleum) and then used 2 cans of clear on it. It holds up alright... but like stated the truck bed liner stuff isnt really any stronger than regular paint IMO.

I used rustoleum paints. They are much cheaper than duplicolor and the like and much easier to find. I think its about 2.50/4.50 a can here compared to 6.00/10.00 For duplicolor.

Now if you have an air compressor and know how to spray a good Base clear set-up for cars id say go that route. Car paint is rediculously stronger than spray cans. If the clear coat is put on in enough coats its pretty hard to chip compared to spray paint.

Thats what I was worried about. I didn't really think the hurculiner wont be much better.A local guy will powder coat my frame for 200 if I sandblast it. I guess I will suck it up and pay to have that done

i have rattle canned my motorcycle over the winter and it holds up fine, but what i did was just regular spray paint for the color then put a laquor clear on it. laqour is much stronger then regular spray paint.

now for the bedliner stuff they sell some of that stuff in spray cans or as a paint roller at autoparts stores, not sure what brand it is. and i would think if you are going down to bare metal it would hold up a bit better then just regular spray paint, but i have never used the stuff so i dont know.

i do pretty much all trail riding and i run over and rub a lot of trees underneath. i can see that doing this many many time it would take its toll on the bedliner stuff but i bet it would last longer then spray paint. i primed and sprayed my a-arms when i got mine in march and it has already rubbed off my bottoms of my a-arms.

Powder coating is all fine and dandy. But honestly its going to chip and rub off just like paint... its just going to take a little bit longer.

For quad frames its a waste of money... in a couple months its going to look like crap too. Unless you can find someone to do it cheap id say just spray can it up.

I wouldnt do herculiner.
I put Herculiner on the racks of my 400 utility cuz they were rusting, and i really didnt like it.
It had way to much texture and grainy stuff. I guess so stuff wont slide around in pickup bed.

But i just saw a thread on here where a guy did his rear end, rims, and pegs with spray can bedliner and it looks awesome! im gonna do my stuff with it, but wouldnt use Herculiner.
Its not pretty enough.

Here is the link to the thread where the guy did his stuff and looks sweet (with pics) http://www.trx450rforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=9584&start=0

i knw this is an old post but i was reading that people use the spray can bedliner on there truck bodies and while its wet paint over it with the color desired and they said it held up very good.
I plan on doing my frame with white bedliner and blue for my a arms and swinger while im putting a je 366 in it for school project.

i used this turck bed spray can liner stuff for my quad, worked fine, i just cleaned down to the paint didnt do anything else, put three coats on it. and its solid, can barely sand the stuff

herculiner ok

I have done this and it held up ok. got dirty bad seems all those little rubber bumps catch dirt who would would have thought it. looks killer on an all flat black bike though. Most of the diy bedlinner needs a painted surface to adhere to. I cleanned and used wet sanding with a green scothch brite pad to ruff up the original paint.

Back