Help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericzerka24

Reaction score
My warrior will fire right up bump starting but there is no spark when using the electric start. Had a new starter clutch and rmstator put in but still no spark. I finally decided to take it to Nelson's Speed Shop and they couldn't trace it down so they got ahold of yamaha and they said it was the cdi box. After putting in the new cdi box they said there is still no spark with the electric starter.

I thought that if the cdi box was bad then the quad wouldn't run at all. I have had 3 different people try working on it before I took it to a dealer and none of them had any clue and said that it just didn't make any sense. Now the dealer has had it few about 3 weeks and they are stumped as well. Anyone have any ideas???

Last edited:
I'd have to say bad stator. It can start by bump starting it becuase the battery is not being pulled down from turning the engine over, and thus has more boltage and amperage to power the stator.

Could be a bad coil. There could be a bad or corroded connection somewhere, or the spark could be jumping from a crack in the ignition wire, or coil body, and grounding against the frame. When you bump start it, the battery isn't getting drained down by the starter, so it has a little more power to supply to the ignition system.

I was told by a few different people that if the cdi box is shot, the quad won't run. So were they wrong about the cdi box then?

Nope we tried that. I just got off the phone with Nelson's and he said once they threw in the new cdi box the quad now rolls over using the button which before you had to cross the solenoid. It also got my neutral and reverse lights to work which didn't before.

They have another warrior there that starts up fine so they are gunna try swapping the stator from that one and if it works then maybe the aftermarket one I picked up just wasn't throwing enough voltage. If that doesn't work, he said its probably something with the wire harness.

Man this thing is driving me nuts! By the time I'm done with it, it's gunna have all new parts. And I thought I stole it when I only paid $400...

Well they swapped out the stators and still no start.

They said they couldn't see any other possible reason for no spark other than the wire harness which is pretty beat up and corroded. They found a new one but it's coming from over seas so it could take up to 10 days to arrive.

Well they got the new wire harness put in and there still is no spark. New CDI box, new wire harness, new stator, and new starter clutch. What else could it possibly be???

They came and picked up my old stator and are gonna throw it in to see if it works now that it has a new CDI box.

possibly broken spark plug wire or the boot needs to be screwed into the wire more

Yeah, you mayt have to remove the boot and cut the ignition wire back 3/8-1/2" and put the boot back on. Or, your coil could be bad.

Back