Help with selection

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakebyte

Reaction score
I have been reading the threads around here and I know you guys dont like the hot cams.

First I have the .040 Wiesco piston 10.5:1.
I am going to take the base gasket out from under the cylinder to block. I have a stock head gasket with the copper spray on it.
I have 14-40 spokets, and do more trail riding then jumping or racing, but still like to go fast.
I am putting the z400 carb on now as we type.
The exhaust is stock with the baffle pulled out.

The cam I have is stock.....

My question is can I put the stage 2 cam in? I called hot cams and they told me to put the stage 1.
I would like to take the cylinder off and put new springs and retainers but all that stuff is new already (stock) and dont have time to pull the engine apart or the money. I do have enough to buy a cam Though.
So what do you guys think Stage one or stage two????

Also I was told that the stage two was made for the stroker kit, but in my eyes if it gives you power were you need it then go with it.

I think that I'll speak for most people here when I say that you should just save up for stronger springs and a decent aftermarket cam. Hotcams do you give more power, but the increases are so small that they're not really worth it.

Personally I thought about this and would just go and by a web .390 or megacycle .415 252x2 midrange cam. You would just not want to rev it past 9,500 rpm otherwise you piston and valves might become good friends.
If I had the choose between the two cams I think I still would go with the stage one. The stage two has an odd lobe sepration that is ment for the stroker kit but still I've found that other cams out perform both of these options. Basically the stage one will give you more all around power where the stage 2 will give you mid to top end and have less bottom.

Hotcams are good cams..just not for these motors..they are by far the best and most popular cam for many other quads..like the 400ex..more guys run hotcams in them than any other cam..

Too bad I didnt see this site when I was building my engine or I would have gone with the heavier springs, titanium retainers, steel valves with three angle, hardened rockers, and a web cam, and a JE piston, but I didnt and had blinders on cause this was my first atv and whent on what my friend told me :-/. I am the kind of person that when I take something apart its all or nothing, but when you dont know about things you tend to have blinders on and just think inside the box.

Thats why I replaced everything brand new: Rockers, springs retainers, keepers, valves, seals, timing chain, cam gear, adjusters for the rockers, and that is just for the head.

Now I'm stuck with it so now I just want to get what I can out of the engine without going back in again.

So I ordered a stage one with new bearings. I'll let you guys know how it runs.

Just for GP I have 220 psi cranking pressure acording to the compression gauge. Yes I can not pull start it without compresion release and al ready whent through 3 pull cords in 6 months of riding cause my starter will not crank it.

If anything hopfully the new cam will bleed off a little cylinder psi.

Back