Help!! Warrior won't start now....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JupiterWarrior

Reaction score
This is going to be a kinda long story I will try to shorten up for you guys.

Ok here's the deal......I let my 1989 warrior sit for about 3-4 months without starting it. The carb was completely gummed up so I rebuilt it with new jets etc. Put everything back together and she fired right up and idled perfectly.

But I took it down the road to test her out and she stopped running around
1000 feet or so down the road. I got it to start back up and get home.

I let it sit for a few minutes and it starts right back up and idles perfect again, so i take her down the street again.....Same damn thing.....

This happens 4 times total. I am sitting on it and notice after the last time it died that the sparkplug boot had fallen off. Yeah this must be the problem.

So I ordered a new one, put it on and the bike would not start again. After a bunch of attempts i get it to start but it doesn't sound right, won't rev very high the first time I get it to start. The second time I get it to start after multiple tries, I can rev it up and it starts acting pretty normal....

Then it just dies like it ran outta gas..... Now it won't start at all....:argh:

What in the heck should I look at next? I am stumped. It ran so good idled great and now nothing!??!

Thanks for the help
Charlie

Also make sure plug boot is screwed on all the way I usallaly cut a little bit of before I put a new one on.

Thanks for the input.... i do have a filter on the fuel line and it is clear tubing so i see i am getting gas at least to that point.

Good idea about cutting some off the wire though...
I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks
Charlie

Maybe clean the fuel valve too

ok update..... I have removed the carb again and it didn't have any fuel in the bowl? The needle and seat are working fine and the float height good.
What I have noticed is the acceleerator pump is sticking on the float bowl gasket.

I couldn't push it back down until I removed the bowl and now it keeps getting hung up on the gasket wtf!?!?!? Would this stop the gas from entering the carb or only the float level controls this?

Thanks for all the help
Charlie

Oh and the fuel runs out of the gas tank NO PROB.....must not be the petcock...

What is the float height ? I doubt the accel pump would effect it. Is the fuel drain screw turned in all the way ?

The drain screw is in tight. I haven't checked the float height yet but it ran perfect and no fuel out of the overflow so I assume it is fine.

But I'll check and report back in a minute!

Thanks a bunch....:tup:

Charlie

it should be parrelel with the bottom of the carb when it is in the seated position

That is exactly where it is!!

I was going to ask where to take the measurement on the float that the manual says!?!? And it says before it starts to touch the needle and seat?!?! The picture looks like they are measuring to the top of the float and if that is the case mine is way off....

But mine is parallel as you say when seated! So I am going to assume it is correct.

Thanks again
Charlie

that is exactly where it is!!

I was going to ask where to take the measurement on the float that the manual says!?!? And it says before it starts to touch the needle and seat?!?! The picture looks like they are measuring to the top of the float and if that is the case mine is way off....

But mine is parallel as you say when seated! So i am going to assume it is correct.

Thanks again
charlie
14 mm is the measurement is your main jet clean too.

Did you remove the parking brake sensor ?

Well there is good news....sorry I took so long to get back to you guys...

It was the float height issue. The Outlaw carb kit had a slightly and I mean slightly taller needle and seat than what I had before and it was off just enough to not fill the bowl. So after numerous attempts I finally got it adjusted right!

She runs like a top once again!

Thanks for all of the help you guys are great!

Charlie

Back