Help tuning

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1987 Warrior

Reaction score
Hey guy i need a little help tuning my warrior.
I just put a factory airbox on and my bike and it sputters and backfires like a bitch i checked the spark plug and its black so i know its running rich.
it has a zoom zoom carb with the stock jets in it.
what im wondering is there a way to lean it out besides putting smaller jets in it. it used to have the airfilter mounted directly to the carb and ran great, the reason i put the airbox on is because i play in the mud alot and do a bit of water crossing and i didnt like the idea of having water and mud beaning able to get directly on the filter.

any help is much appreciated
1987Warrior

Another thing while im riding it will randomly find neutral while shifting between any gear would that be a sing that my clutch is on its way out?

The stock jets should work fine but I would try a 145 main jet if your exhaust is stock.

yes. you wont normally need a bigger jet if you are not taking in more air, even you are flowing exhaust out faster.

sorry no i havent looked to see what they are i just assumed they would be the stock one as that was what they said when i bought it, ill have a look at it tomorrow

ok guys so i finally got to work on my quad. So it has a 145 main jet so should i go to a 140 or a 142 if there is one? i would look at the needle position but dont remember were to look for it. also i noticed the accelerator pump is sticking so im going to do the bic pen mod.

Hi man...noticed you're in Ontario...where are ya located..??

Trouble is with the zoom zoom carb,is I would think they wouldn't be genuine mikuni jets,but chinese knock-offs...I'd use the carb no prob,but I would order a mikuni 42.5 pilot jet,as well as mikuni 142.5 145 and 147.5 main jets to get you dialed in with the lid on.

Also,what is the pilot screw set at..??...Should be set just rich enough so you don't get backfiring on long decel runs....1-1\4 to 2-1\4 turns out from fully seated lightly.

hey i live in Brechin your about 2-1/2 hours away, and the pilot screw is at 2-2-1/4 turns. i have my old carb still so ill swap the jets and see how she runs and let ya know.
and thanks for the help

1987warrior

So i swapped my jets to mikuni 145 main and a 42.5 pilot and i still runs the same as the zoomzoom jets that were in it(same size). would moving the needle position help with my proplem?

Back