help--suzuki lt 80 info

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjim0214

Reaction score
hey guys, im working on a friends lt80---wiring/short/blowing fuse problem---if anyone can help, GREAT, ill happily go into detail (pulling my hair out:argh:) , other than that if ya'll know a forum or somewhere i could find some troubleshooting knowledge (wiring schematic would be the ****) , as always, it will be greatly appreciated, thx, jim

You could try E2S. They have lots of discussions about LT80's on there. They are quite popular machines, with the older crowd on that forum. http://forums.everything2stroke.com/forum.php

im on it, already got schematic---goin deeper, thx mathius

damm cant find much there, heres a breif descript of prob====
keeps blowing fuse, no cuts/rubs found. could starter relay or rectifier( there sealed) cause this? how can i check them?key switch/ kill switch and start button looks good.( i was able to take them apart) gotta double check parking safety, i dunno.at a loss here...spent 3 hrs chasing wires...thx guys

Last edited:
Sounds to me like your floating a ground somewhere? Are those little buggers 6 volt, or 12 volt?

dam, im thinkin 12 but i didnt have my meter with me, was using test light, im studing schematic but i dont have bike with me, i need to find a forum like us for that bike lol

dam, im thinkin 12 but i didnt have my meter with me, was using test light, im studing schematic but i dont have bike with me, i need to find a forum like us for that bike lol

they are all 12v i have 3 of them, ok well 4 but one is a parts one, if you need a used part let me know, sounds kinda odd tho, i've never had a fuse blown, you must be on an older model cuz the newer ones have a push button breaker instead of a fuse. i would be there is a bad wire grounding to frame somewhere. make sure the starter bolts are tight, the starter doesnt have a ground wire, it grounds thru the bolts and mating surface.

they are all 12v i have 3 of them, ok well 4 but one is a parts one, if you need a used part let me know, sounds kinda odd tho, i've never had a fuse blown, you must be on an older model cuz the newer ones have a push button breaker instead of a fuse. i would be there is a bad wire grounding to frame somewhere. make sure the starter bolts are tight, the starter doesnt have a ground wire, it grounds thru the bolts and mating surface.
well it seems u have knowledge of this so let me ask this for starters, i believe its a 93, not sure, but anyway the fuse holder is in by the battery, it appears to hold 2 fuses BUT one doesnt have metal clips (so 2 speak) to hold fuse in (another words if you turn it upside down it falls out) there was 2 of us taking it apart,\ and we didnt drop anything, yet there was 2 fuses in holder, i believe the loose 1 is the 1 blowing. i think i was looking at the big red cloth braided wire (battery)and the W/B wire (engine kill/starter relay) all switches seem good. my schematic shows 1 fuse, starter relay appears to have a switch and a coil/resistor, the fuse holder has 4 wires in it, ill start with that:loco:
0hh n yea all wires followed and checked, tryed pulling starter but it seems i gotta pull/loosen motor to get it out, it was late when i tryed that thou
i just found some more info, what year did they go from fuse to circuit breaker?

Last edited:
well it seems u have knowledge of this so let me ask this for starters, i believe its a 93, not sure, but anyway the fuse holder is in by the battery, it appears to hold 2 fuses BUT one doesnt have metal clips (so 2 speak) to hold fuse in (another words if you turn it upside down it falls out) there was 2 of us taking it apart,\ and we didnt drop anything, yet there was 2 fuses in holder, i believe the loose 1 is the 1 blowing. i think i was looking at the big red cloth braided wire (battery)and the W/B wire (engine kill/starter relay) all switches seem good. my schematic shows 1 fuse, starter relay appears to have a switch and a coil/resistor, the fuse holder has 4 wires in it, ill start with that:loco:
0hh n yea all wires followed and checked, tryed pulling starter but it seems i gotta pull/loosen motor to get it out, it was late when i tryed that thou
i just found some more info, what year did they go from fuse to circuit breaker?

i have an 87 a 92 and an 05, none of them have more then one fuse, and the 05 def has the breaker, the other two dont.

to remove the starter, you have to loosen the motor mount bolts in the front, you will see them, one goes thru the frame and the other two have rubber donuts on them, its easiest to stand it on the rear grab bar so you can angle the engine seperate from the frame, it's tight but it will come out that way, removing the carb helps some too, but its not needed.

if you google image lt80 wiring or wiring diagram, it will come up with one you can save and blow up in paint or whatever, then you need to see where a fuse was added or what kind of wiring the previous owner did, i do have a spare harness but its from an 06 parts quad i have and you would have to figure out the breaker situation and all.

if you have a pull start then you can forget all the wiring and just pull start it. the pull start you can buy on ebay for around a hund.

also check atvconnection.com, go into kids quads and atv section and search there, there is a guy jack "lt80" is his screen name, he knows all about that quad and does really good porting for cheap.

oh and when my 05 kept popping the breaker, it was the red with white stripe wire that runs from the starter to under the seat, right where it goes up under the rear plastics above the right foot peg there is a white connector that comes loose inside the holder and causes the wire to arc and pop the breaker/fuse

oh and when my 05 kept popping the breaker, it was the red with white stripe wire that runs from the starter to under the seat, right where it goes up under the rear plastics above the right foot peg there is a white connector that comes loose inside the holder and causes the wire to arc and pop the breaker/fuse

i havent been into it in a few days, but ill tell ya this, all wiring looks legit! like i said....4 freakin wires going to (double fuse holder)
anyway ill take pics of this ****, so much easier than typing and ill look at that web site too
this is getting interesting

oh yea.....no pull start....

Last edited:
Back