HELP So frustrated

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rjmac80

Reaction score
So I have been working on my 92 warrior for a month now and heres where I am at

I have fuel , compression, air and spark !!!!

the thing I don't have is a Warrior that starts just spins. I did get a back fire once but nothing since.

I have no idea what to try next any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check and see if the cam is in time. If its not you may need a new key for your flywheel or it jumped time. That's my guess

Duneracer thanks for the reply I should have mentioned I have checked the timing numerous times it always dead on

Trust me here. Take your spark plug out & clean it off. Put it back in. Then Take your battery and recharge it to full. Then throw it back on and see if she starts. Even though you have juice and its kicking over; you may not have enough cranking amps coming out your battery. Recharge to full and retry. I had sane problem. Scratched my head for 45 min then did that. Bang. Fires right up. Try it and let me know. If that's the case we will go from there to prevent it from happening again. The reason I say clean spark plug is because you probably flooded the engine, trying to start with the weak battery. I know i did. So just clean/dry the plug with a rag. Hopefully she starts for ya

Didnt think. Before you do ^^^^^the above; check your carb boot for cracks or leaks. If its bad enough you will see wet gas seeping thru the boot

I will look at the carb boot again and will clean the spark plug again.

the battery did die recently and I was trying to jump it off my truck ( I am getting desperate lol) I will charge up the battery and let you all know

thanks

If it still isn't starting, maybe you are 180 degrees off on your timing. Meaning you have it on top dead center on the exhaust stroke. These single cylinder motors don't really react to being off 180, they just don't start. Not saying anything about your mechanical skills. I have put mine together 180 off before myself, I moved it and it cranked up immediately.

The easiest way to tell if you are off is to take out the plug and put your finger over the hole while you turn the crank over to TDC if it is pushing air out of the plug hole when it comes up on TDC then you have it right because you need it on TDC on the compression stroke. Always keep in mind that the motor hits TDC twice, once on the compression stroke and once on the exhaust stroke.

OK so I checked the boots no cracks bought a new battery charged it to 100% still nothing. As I am not the most mechanical the following information was told to me by a friend you is .

Timing is good
Compressions is 120 psi
have spark

heres what I found since I got it back to my place

sprayed starting fluid into is nothing

valves look like they have rust on them

ans last but not least when I used a flash light to look through the spark plug hole the top of the piston looks like it has rust on it .

so the question is if there is rust on the piston head should it still fire?

I am going to assume it will not and I should pull the engine out?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the ingredients are there. I would think a weak spark is the only possibility.

ok so is it just carbon build up on the piston? How can I check the spark strength?

Get a spark tester from harbor freight, or pull out the spark plug, put it back in the boot, and ground the spark plug against the motor. Then crank it over and yo should have a bright blue spark

Ok if that's all it is I have done that many times. the spark is bright blue.

But here is an update that I wish I had before apparently this machine was in a flood awhile back so I guess I have to tear the whole thing apart.

Really wish I had know this this a year ago

Seems everything is there but fuel. Make sure your carb is clean and fuel is flowing thru the line. Have u cleaned the carb since you got it?

Back