Help for a first time Quad owner

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1sery

Reaction score
I have an 01 Warrior , and its my first quad. I havent been on any sort of bike for about 15 years so this is new. And I am learning so bare with me.

My problem is this. The warrior runs fairly decent in 1st through 4th gear. But 5th and 6th I get this really "dead spot" The only way I can describe is its like when a car has a fouled plug or a wire off of the distributor cap. I f I ease into the throttle and apply at a slow speed to "build it up" it seems to do ok somewhat, but if I nail it then I get a bog, or dead spot.

Its got a White Bros. pipe and has been Jetted. The previous owner said I need to replace a " Slide needle " I believe thats what he called it. The one he gave me that was supposed to be in there has an 18 on it and is slightly bent.

Im good with mechanics , but I dont have a manual yet. And I dont fully understand yet , so if an experienced person could please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You, Paul

Well a bent needle is not a good thing. That should def be replaced. You dont really need to jet if you just have a pipe. I'm not sure what you mean by the slide needle, I assume its the main jet inside the slide?

The Needle that was supposed to be in there was the bent one. the previous owner replaced it. But was never able to get the dead spots out. ( Which is why he got rid of it )

Im basically asking what I should start to look for.

Paul

Well a bent needle is not a good thing. That should def be replaced. You dont really need to jet if you just have a pipe. I'm not sure what you mean by the slide needle, I assume its the main jet inside the slide?
thats BS you have to rejet if you have a pipe or it will run lean.....

clogged low speed jet maybe? (if I'm wrong some one please correct me) clean your jets out really good, the last owner may have let it sit too long and the jets could have gunked up

Got to your local dealer. Buy a couple of jets and a new needle. PLay around with it and see what happens. There is a tutorial on here about jetting and it is pretty easy!

Back