Help 87 warrior not starting! Carb issue?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorPride87

Reaction score
ok so i just got my spark going on my 87 warrior and i cant get it to start. i can pour some gas in and get it to start for a sec but i cant seem to get it to fire from the carb. it also sneezes out the carb. any suggestions? anything to point me in the right direction would be great. Thanks in advanced! New stator combo and ign coil and cdi :argh:

Take airbox off and look down carb. Make sure its actually spraying gas into it. May have a blockage somewhere.

Make sure intake boot not ripped or cracked and suckin extra air.

Take airbox off and look down carb. Make sure its actually spraying gas into it. May have a blockage somewhere.

to check for gas i choke the carb with my hand over where the boot going to air box mounts and give it a couple cranks and you should have fuel on you hand

Itake was ripped on top but not sure if it is all the way through I'm getting gas on my hand though when I hold it on the intake part of the carb it's Fairley cold here 28 degrees

I have actually rebuilt the carb and I was test the spark by holding the spark plug to the head while cranking it over. I can get it to start for a sec or two with starter fluid through

Will it start with the fluid everytime? Carb setup the right way? I'm only asking all these questions to figure out where your issue is.

It will about everytime I have the a/f screw put at 2 1/4 turns out I bought the carb seperate of the atv it's stock jetting mukuni

Have you tried keeping it running with the starting fluid? If you can something needs attention in the carb. If not i think you may need to look at ohming the stator.

What should the stater specs be? I will check to see if I can keep it started tomorrow but I should go ahead and check the stator to. Leave no stone unturned right?

Yours being an 87 you should have 2 pickup coils, but the specs will still be the same. Also sometimes wire color varied, but if memory serves me right the pickup coils are a red and a white wire. Theres also 3 white wires that are your charging coils. Your not concerned about those though. If Im wrong on color though only the ones that match up will give you an ohm value thats not O.L on a mutlimeter.

source coil 270 - 330 ohms
pick-up coil 171 - 209 ohms

Do I need to look for anything else?
I noticed somebody had mentioned a bent intake valve in another forum

Just looked at your thread over on the other forum. Out of curiosity what is the company you got your new stator. I must have missed that. They can make sound out the carb for other reasons. Do you have a spark tester or know someone that does. Either that or I know of a trick. The reason Im asking is its easy for a spark to jump the gap on a plug out side the cylinder, but inside the cylinder you have pressure that makes it harder to fire if the spark is weak. A good hot spark should be able to jump about an inch gap at least.

The stator is a caltric it's has a 1 year warranty but I'm getting an inch gap seems like a good strong spark it actually got me when i got the spark problem fixed but I don't have a spark tester.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a fuel issue. Is there ANY fuel in the carb? Is there fuel flowing from the petcock? Is there fuel going through the line? Is there fuel coming out of the carb when you open the drain screw in the bowl? Did you install the float correctly?

I have fuel because I took the carb off to check to see if to plunger was sticking and the bowl had fuel in it if. The plunger seems to be sliding smoothly the carb was stock jetting so I left it at the same float height. I get it fuel on my hand if hold my hand over the intake part of my carb if I pump the gas.

So I messed around with it and it finally started with the starter fluid and pumping the gas now it starts everytime first crank

Back