HELP 1997 warrior smoking

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick97war

Reaction score
Ok so the warrior starts up great idles fine when it idles no smoke give it gas and it smokes bad. But its a white grey smoke. It does not smell like burning oil what can this be?

Doubtfull it's a compression issue because it starts and runs fine otherwise. I think what cody is talking about is a cylinder leak down test. Does your bike use oil? Does it smell like gas? I've seen where the carb overflows, floods the cylinder and the gas leaks past the piston into the crankcase, and when revved the excess fluid in the crankcase gets pushed past the rings and into the combustion chamber, making a white smoke. So, that being said, make sure your oil is not over full and does not smell like gas. Only other thing it could be, engine wise, is its burning oil, but that is usually blueish and you can easily smell it.

So I got this bike on a trade it Was nme when I got it so I put in a new stator and coil took the carburetor apart to clean I check the compression it is at 115 p s I last night was the first time I was able to ride it .the smoke smells more like gas doesn't really smell like oil also when I was able to ride it last night the exceleration seems like it was just not good

Compression is on the low side. If my memory is correct the general lowest (good) compression is 120psi. Smoking and poor power are all symptoms of low compression. But, if it smells more like fuel than oil, you may have another problem. Did you double check your oil level, make sure there is no gas in it? I've had to rebuild top ends due to excessive fuel flooding (and the owner continues to ride it like that) causing the cylinder and rings to get "washed out" and result in compression loss.

Last edited:
Nope no gas in oil .could it also be running rich ? Its aslo has cobra exhaust on it

Yeah man, no gas in oil, last thing is rings. Unless, on the outside possibility, that the exhaust packing in contaminated with something, and with the heat of the exhaust it's burning. I had a kx85 that the exhuast packing was saturated with unburnt fuel, and had that same issue. But, with your compression being 115psi, I'd have to stick with that.

Well any suggestions on what i should do if i bore it out should i jet the carb if i only go 20 over and since im in there i will do the valves once again any suggestions if i do one thing like boring the engine should i do anything else or should i just stay the 350.just asking what should i do and get to do the top end thanks for all your guys help

Well, it depends on what ya wanna spend & how ya wanna ride. Personally I wouldn't bore it unless absolutely necessary. If it's stock bore & the bore is ok then I'd just hone it & pop in a new piston & rings by either Wiseco or JE.
Get yourself a gasket kit that includes valve seals & replace those just for security, it can't hurt! If ya wanna spend the cash to put new springs, retainers & locks in the Topend go with a KIBBLEWHITE kit & use a Web .390 cam. A S1HC Will be good if ya don't wanna replace springs & still want a bump in power. Don't forget the timing chain.

Hey thank you for that info. Didn't want to bore it out thats just more money that i dont want to spend so I'll keep it stock . I just trail woods ride.i went from a imported honda crm 250 rr to a blaster now i have this warrior the wife is going to kill me when i tell her i need to rebuild this engine great looks likw i will have a winter project

Time for an inspection man ... You'll need to see if the bore is still in good shape and round .. And if it not you'll be looking to bore it no getting around it man

Back