Hello All!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All, my name is Al and at the ripe age of 32 purchased my first quad (1998 Honda 300ex). Got a small one cuz I had never ridden before. Anyways after 2 years of riding I think I can move up a little, but not too much because I still suck. Was considering buying a 1989 Warrior for $500. It runs good but needs tires, fluids, little stuff like that. I was wondering what pros cons you guys could give me about this bike. It will be mostly for trails, no racing or anything like that. Thanks.

What are you looking to improve over your 300? The warrior is a larger, more comfortable machine for an adult rider, but really doesn't have much of a performance advantage. It might be able to edge out the 300 in acceleration and get 5-10 mph on the top end, but not a huge difference that I could justify moving to a machine that's that much older.

The biggest thing here is figuring out what about the 300 you want to improve. If it's just to get a larger, more comfortable machine, the warrior fits the bill, but if you're not satisfied with the performance of the 300, you'll get bored with the 350 pretty quickly.

Warriors are great trail machines. When they are maintained they are extremely reliable, but like any machine, if it's neglected it can be a pain in the ass to keep in working order. You gotta watch out for that with a 20 year old quad. They don't do outrageously well in any particular area, but can handle anything within reason so it is a good, well-rounded machine.

Thanks for the info. Thats kind of exactly what I'm looking for. Bigger and more comfortable. I feel like the 300 is way too small for me. As for performance I want to go up gradually as I gain more riding experience.

I took a yfz450 for a ride once and thought damn this is gonna be instant death. I am not looking at the age so much as the price I can afford with the Warrior. Most of the guys I ride with have trikes so I know I can't keep up with any of them flat out.

The price is right and few $$$ for maintenance and whatnot is fine because if I do get bored fast then I know I didnt spend mad amounts of money and can still upgrade without breakin the bank. Again thanks for the info and if you can thik of anything else let me know

If that's the case, then the warrior sounds like it'll fit the bill perfectly for you. I'm not sure how big of a guy you are, but i'm somewhere around 5'11" and 200lbs and it was a nice comforable machine to cruise with all day. I found that some taller handlebars and lowering the footpegs also helped with comfort. I had the IMS footpegs on mine, they sit a little lower than the stock ones and have twice the surface area so they're a big improvement in comfort, I actually still have them laying in the garage for sale if anyone wants to make an offer.

If you do feel like you need more power later on, you can always kick up the power. Pistons, cams, exhaust, or even go with a big bore or stroker. I think the HotRods stroker kit would be a great way to go especially with an older machine. That kit replaces the entire crank with a new one, so you don't need to have any worries about the stock crank or rod giving out from age and the increase in power output. Relatively cheap too, for the power you gain. Beware of making it faster though, because then you'll want to upgrade the suspension so you can keep that extra power on all 4 wheels most of the time, then better brakes so you're not bashing into trees, then you have it under control then 1 of 2 things happen. Either you make it shinier or you make it faster. I repeated this cycle several times before I realized that although I had a very fast, shiny machine to warrior standards, I had invested so much that I could have walked into the yamaha dealer and bought a brand new raptor 700 with cash.

I know what you mean about the yfz. The fast machines will feel totally out of control at first to an inexperienced rider. Even with all the mods I had on my warrior, and all the experience I have riding (i was competitive with 400's, 450's, and 660's in hare scrambles and did pretty good on the mx track), my raptor 700 still felt like an out of control beast for the first couple days. Sometimes it still scares the **** out of me and makes me wonder why the hell i bought something so crazy fast and still proceeded to make it even faster. I could only imagine what a 450 would feel like to a novice rider. Now the big power is just the norm for me, and riding an average machine like a 300 or 350 makes me feel like i'm riding a lawnmower.

Ok. So I scrapped the idea of the 89 Warrior. Was able to get a 98 for just 200 dollars more. Runs good, no leaks or smoke. needs new plastics though. It's Blue and red and dont really care for that color scheme.

Gonna go pick-it up tomorrow so we'll see. If anyone has a decent set of plastics they want to get rid of lemme know.

Kinda lookin for white, black, or silver.

welcome to the gang

warriors are fun to drive.. I drove my bros lt250r and 400ex and I prefer the warrior for now... lt250r is just to crazy for me.. 400ex is fun but still a bit fast... warriors are great.. :)

Back