head gasket

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawfox9

Reaction score
i was wondering if anybody with a 05 raptor has a prob with a head gasket leaking on the left side. i am not feeling any air coming out so that goo that i am not loosing compression but there is black around teh area and a little bit of oil. i have not rode it since and since i do still got a warranty on it planning on bringing it on in. any thoughts would be great!!! ??? ???

Got any pics? Are you sure it's not just a little bit seeping out from the cam cover?

no i dont have any pics i will try and get some this week though...it is between the jug and the case where it is showing

After and initial break in the motor should be retorqued anyway. Id retorque the head adjust the valves and tighten up the cam cover all in one swipe, if you still get oil then replace the head gasket.

But if yamaha is going to cover it then take it in a let them deal with it.

after the initial break in i had them do the valve adjustment and everything....if that wht you are talking about. that was almost a year ago though and i put HARD miles on the bike

after just looking over th engine again toay i realized that it was leaking around the cam as well...not good

i am gonna take some pics of it by the end of the day and post them up!!

P1010011.jpg

this the cam area^

P1010010.jpg

this is the head gasket^...anybody have any clue to what is going on....i have not ridden since i have seen this and i am afraid to as well

looks like the rocker cover and the base gasket. You might need a new o-ring for the rocker cover but can try just tightening it. As far as the base gasket I would ride it until it starts leaking alittle worse, it will cost alot to fix unless you do it yourself.

Well, for sure it looks like the exhaust cam cover o-ring is shot, or that allen head bolt is loose. That's not a big deal and looks like someone screwed up when they did the service... (This is coming from somebody that works at a dealership.)
The cylinder base head gasket for sure looks to be leaking as well. Most of the time I've found it to leak by the pressure side not the cam side because somebody puts an 0-ring in wrong. I would make sure that allen is torqed down and then wash it off making sure you have oil up to spec then go run it around and see if it's leaking again. Or if it is under warrenty... take it to the dealer. They will fix that right up no problem.

thanks man....i figure it is the dealers fault from the initial tune up.....you never know if they do something right.....i apreciate the responses!!

well i brought it in to the shop...they are gonna exam it tomorrow and tell me if yamaha warranties the gasket.....but listen to this ****...the guy at the dealer said that the head gasket dont look to bad......and that with a air cooled engine the heat it builds can sometimes cause the gasket to get squashed or some **** like that...if this is the case then would be the point of the gasket??? gasket are there to create a seal not a leak...i think he is saying that so if yamaha sais yes to replace it then he wont have to do the head gasket cause he would have to pull off the head....his info sounds wrong...but correct me if i am wrong

He's just trying to cover his ass so that way they have a way out if warrentee doesn't cover it or if the dealship doesn't want to take it on.. Yes you are right, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Remember it's a manufacturing defect, you did nothing wrong. Tell them that if they give you any greef. Don't be affraid to tell them your upset about the situation. No bike should leak oil at those locations if the gasket is good and there put together right. So yes, Yamaha should cover that no questions asked. If they tell you any different take it to some one that will cover it. Also they should have record of you with your tune up service, that goes along way with Yamaha, showing that you are trying to take care of your bike. Don't let them **** you around.

yah thats wht i thought to............the guy gave me also some bullshit on how i am running a uni filter with a airbox with six small uni airfilter pod things........he was all chapped cause he saw that i had some oil sitting in the airbox and was like this is getting sucked into your carb....and how the hell is this??? i mean i have a filter with a seal....and all that is sitting down there is some run off oil from my filter......but yah thanks for the info really appreciate it!!!!

I agree that the base gasket is starting to leak, but like they said in an earlier post I wouldnt worry about it until it really starts leaking more and you may just need a new Oring on the valve cover or just retorque the cover bolts after cleaning the mess up. Also, the head gasket you keep referring to is between the cylinder head and the jug, not where the picture you took is! That is probably why the mechanic said the head gasket is ok.

so then where is the head gasket??? and wht gasket am i talking about then???

also...i just got the call they fixed the exaust cam cover o ring fixed...they did say i was a quart low on oil which i find weird cause i had just made sure the oil was right before i sent it there...hmmm...but anyhow they said the oil had broken down and siad that this might have happened cause it was low on oil and that it was thin..idk if i believ it but hey now if the gasket does go to junk they will have to fix it no if ands or buts :)

Back