having problems keeping it runnning

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsadork

Reaction score
this quad is nothing but trouble...couple of months ago i had a problem starting it up...blah blah blah

i finally got it fixed and got it back today (money issues). it rode around fine..parked behind house...no problems...later i went to ride and it started right up and ran fine... got it down the driveway without problems...went down the street with out problems until i brought the clutch and let off the gas. then it stalled but it was still rolling... it took me a while to get it to start back up...i thought it was perhaps the e brake switch on the perch (that thing is a real piece of poop!!!)...brought it in and no difference. it backfired a couple of times and then finally started up...went on my way and it happened again but this time it took forever to get it started again...brought the e beake on while in neutral and started after many tries and i went on my way...it only stays running if it is revving high...if gets too low, it stalls out. i looked at the muffler (stock muffler) and saw some holes and saw that part of the spark arrestor was sticking out.

its a 1997 with no mods...if oyu had a hard time understanding my story ill try to clarify if you tell me what you didnt get...i am kinda distraught and cant think coherently at this point because of my disappointment.

any help would be really awesome...thx

I assume you have enough gas in it, and the fuel valve is turned on? I know it seems to obvious, but it's happened before.

How long was that gas in there? If the gas has been sitting in it for months that could easily be your problem. I'd start by draining out the fuel in the tank and carb and putting some new gas back in. If it still gives you ****, the next thing i'd do is carefully take the carb apart and clean it out good.

i checked gas...the funny thing is my dad rode it around the block a couple of times and there was no problem but he never did get it to its top speed so idk...the fuel petcock is on so idk

im kinda new to the whole mechanic thing so i dont think i should take the carb apart...unless there is some way you could tellme in great detail how to do it.

well i emptied the carb and tried new gas and im still having the same problem..i tried starter fluid but it hiccuped a couple times andd then i think i flooded it..

careful with the starting fluid. A little shot OK, don't go heavy though.

3 things needed to run -Compression (timing also falls in this one), spark and fuel air mix. I would check each in that order. Check timing and check valves to make sure they are not hanging up any -good time to learn how to set them. When that all checks out -make sure you have good spark. If both of these items are correct, then they can be eliminated as problems and it will be a carb problem. A couple of things to check on carb would be to remove bowl and make sure there is nothing blocking the main jet (port goes to deepest location in bowl) and your accelerator pump-the shaft that goes up from bowl area to the chamber on the left side of carb -inspect the rubber boot for tears.

I am saying in that order because carbs don't generally go bad suddenly - unless dirty or that boot is ripped(there are other things that can go wrong with carb-but this is a start). The starter fluid should have given you something. A backfire is saying a possible valve issue. A spark issue is very common on Warriors -so that is possible. You will find the problem after you know what is not wrong.

Get a manual -ebay motors -manuals

keep us posted - take your time, don't get frustrated if possible

when it backfires, black smoke comes out but when im trying to start it and hiccups, the smoke is bluish...am i not getting enough oxygen into the carb?

The black smoke could just be its flooded. Did you check your air filter? Clean and doesn't smell of gas, right?

There are to many variables of why it is suddenly not firing. It is probably something simple. We can help you better if we know what is right.

iys clean and doesnt smell like gas. the spark plug is new. the stator is new. the gas is like a month old put i tok it out and filtered it before i put it back in. im gonna get new gas today and try it out.

what has me thinking it is not your carb is that you tried starting fluid and it didn't fire clean. It should have run for a couple of seconds, unless the plug was fouled or it was flooded. Without touching the gas -crank it a few times with the plug out -put a shot of starting fluid right in sparkplug hole -reinstall plug and try to start (don't touch gas). If it doesn't fire - it is probably a spark or compression issue.

Back