having problems here

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dons18w

Reaction score
hey all new to this as well as to a quad of my own have been riding many times finally got the cash to buy a warrior......... 98 it threw a rod thru the case in 5 days!!!!!!!!

but i bought a new one on ebay and havung problems tried the service manual didnt help much i need simple instruction on tuning the carb i know the main jet is 147.5 the new motor has a bore job fresh pistion and rings and the .430 web cam w the hd springs :eek: dont want to screw it up on tring to set the carb while setting the rings properly?? dg exhust and header the pipe gets hot extremly quik 10-30 seconds on 1/3 throtle what do i need to adjust and where is it and how huch please help me want to get it right for some turkey day fun(would have loved to have it this morning got a 5 point buck had to drag it out) :( :eek: ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ok..
Don't worry about the headpipe or how hot the engine is running. Take the plug out look at it and tell me what you see. When cold does the engine pop through the carb or backfire? That would tell you that the engine is running lean on the pilot circuit and the fuel screw could need adjustment. With that setup I would try a little bigger main jet but also when going up in compression the space is tighter so there is less air/fuel mixture that is needed.
The best thing I can advise is don't beat the **** out of it the first couple of hours, you can get on it but just don't hold it WOT for long periods. Heat cycles are your friend. Ride through every gear back always changing rpm. Change the oil with in the first 10 hours, clean the inlet screen and filter. Make sure and check the oil by dipping not threading when checking the oil.
The rings will usally seat in with in the first 10 mins or so of running if the bore, and hone job was done properly.
I'd also check the valves after the first 10 hours as well.

would think light to white but actually black????????also wondering about sprocket size the one on the built motor is large the blown one was small i need at least a link to put it back should i just change to little and put the plactic back and go for a ride or work the carb out first? when i started it wouldnt run without choke or when i hit the throttle but now it will idle great or at least for the 3 min that ive idled it never broke in a motor other than my traxxis but it srarted right up and break in went fine

Please use better puntuation, it's super hard for me to understand what you're saying. :)
Doesn't matter about the sprocket size.. you can put the smaller one if you don't want to top speed or keep the larger one if you want to go fast.
I'd change the plug just to make sure it wasn't left in there before they rebuilt the engine to get a good idea what the actual mixture is. But it sounds like it will be fine.
It takes awhile for gas to get to the bowl of the carb.. if it won't run with out the choke then I'd look for an intake leak or possible cause why the engine would run lean.
I would take it out and ride it around.

:-X Sorry about the poor gramar. I have bought new plug to do a test on carbon deposit coloration. The quad now idles well and will run tomorrow (hopefully) Am getting a little backfire thru the carb will keep this updated as much as possible and figure out how to post pics thx

Ok, if you're getting a little back fire through the carb then it's running lean. Does it pop on deccel? You may have to turn the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb out 1/2 turn or so. If you want I can guide you through tuning it.

Do what I did, keep a small screwdriver in the storage thingy under the seat and go ride it. If it pops on decel, turn the screw out a bit. That way you won't have to always go back to the garage.

???well it seems that the warrior gods are against me. I went out today to try and get the 10 min ride over, hit the start it cranked once then just spins????????? If it went for bad luck it seems that i would have no luck. Drained the oil and back into the case, the ?? Starter wheel turns freely both ways? :'(

Sounds like you need a new starter clutch (one way bearing). It was probably going out when you got it, and just finally came apart completely. Sorry to say, it's a little over $200 for parts because you will need the one way bearing, the gear that the bearing rides on (the old one will probably be worn and pitted on the mating surface) and a new gasket for the side cover.

Thats not good .......... will get with the guy i bought it from and see what he says payed 500 for the engine 1500 for the quad mmmm...... At least another 150 in mics. parts and tools and have got 15 min of ride time thought these quads were (bulletproof?) guess im not having good luck. where can i find these parts ne ideas?

Every machine made tears up friend. And a lot of it has to do with preventive maintenance. Anytime you buy a used quad you are taking a chance on whether or not it has been taken care of. I feel for ya having so many problems right off the bat. I'd be ticked!

Can anybody tell me what tools I need to replace and remove the starter gear and one way beaing. I have the general idea on what hand tools are needed but unsure of any pully pullers or presses? Has anybody done this before? Any pointers or tips? I am a truck driver not a mechanic...lol. :-/

:) Talked with the guy I bought the engine from. And he's sending out new one way bearing and starter gear plus, a free DG rear grap bar for my troubles.

That's cool that he's sending you the parts. You might not like that DG grab bar though, I had one and liked the stock one better because the DG has this massive overbuilt tab for mounting a flag right in the middle of it where you'd normally grab onto or stand on when trying to get yourself unstuck. I guess you can't complain too much when it's free though, if nothing else you could just put it on ebay.

Back