Has anybody noticed this (carb/accelerator pump)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safooma

Reaction score
Hi all.

I just spent the weekend going through carb in my warrior because it would bog and sometimes die when I nailed the throttle from idle. I know this means that the accelerator pump was not working.

So I pulled down a service manual and went to work.

My accelerator pump was stuck, a little, but I went ahead and tore everything else apart and cleaned it out good. When I put it back together it was way better...then I noticed that it was leaking fuel out of the float bowl. DOH, I forgot to put the float bowl gasket in.

So after tearing it all out again, when I was putting the gasket back in the little 'trench' that it fits in in the float bowl, I noticed that when it(the gasket) is in place, it would catch on the little grooves on the accelerator pump plunger. I also noticed that there isn't a little trench where the gasket goes around the plunger, so it tends to hug the plunger as it goes around as ther isn't anything to keep the two seperated. I tried to tuck it out of the way as best I could and finished putting it back together.

It is somewhat better, but it still occasionally bogs on me and I can't help but think it is still getting caught on the gasket.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a design flaw of this particular carb? Does anyone know how to fix it for good(other than buying an edlebrock)?

Thanks!

From what I've seem, the pluger doesn't even touch the gasket during operation because it goes in too deep. Even when it's fully out it doesn't touch. Mine kept getting stuck too, that's why I put in a Z400 carb.

Hmmm...I supposed that when the float bowl is in place the plunger may be down far enough that it wouldn't be an issue. So that begs the question....if it's not that, then wtf is causing it to stick?

How much for the z400 carb? Does it work that much better?

Thanks!

I'm thinking the plunger or hole gets deformed over time.

Z400 carbs can be found for really cheap on ebay of z400 forums, like $50+shipping, you'll also need around $30 worth of other parts. Check out my thread in the tutorials section. It makes a huge difference, especially in throttle response.

Back