Ground up rebuild!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, we love the 350X. They are a real powerhouse, especially once you crack them open. You can stroke them, then make the XR500 (iirc) top end fit it and come out with a 460cc monster that you have a hard time keeping a clutch in. They can be one badass mofo. Mine is ;)

On your Warrior, don't bother with a 366. Why? You are gaining very little in the power department by maxing out the bore. You'd make more power using an 11:1 Wiseco on standard or .040" overbore, and you will still have room to bore in the future. The 11:1 is a very nice piston and works great on pump gas. 12:1 is questionable how well it will work on pump gas. Obviously running a "big" cam will help to reduce dynamic compression so it will be more pump gas friendly. If chasing more displacement is what you are after, send the cases to CWR (cycleworksracing) have Greg bore them out for a larger sleeve, and have him resleeve your cylinder to make it a 400cc quad.

I also wouldn't bother with the Hotcams. I've run the stage one. It's okay until you move to a different cam and you realize that the Hotcam isn't worth the money. Web is good, but, I prefer the Megacycle cams. The 252x2 works very well with the lower compression pistons (10.25:1). The 252x1 works great with the 11:1 I have.

Everyone I work with kept telling me I was dumb for even messing with that "old piece of junk", I did not realize exactly what all potential that motor had. I did not realize you could do soo much to it, lesson learned on my end there. I will let the guy know I traded to though, cause he has no idea either. He just wanted something that ran so he could play.
Far as the warrior goes, I had already decided I wasn't wasting time on a hotcam, was looking at the Web .430 with kibble white valve springs and valves though. Don't know for certain but previous owner said it was already bored to 366 by the guy he got it from. Will know more on that hopefully this week. I plan on getting into the motor soon as I get everything else to my powder coating guy.
I will look into your megacycles cam though and I have a guy who could bore out the case and add that sleeve. Let me look into that too, your the first to mention that one, but I look into it. Maybe that could be a good route to take.
Side note, girlfriend very mad at my spending on this project, so I shut her up by coming home with an 89 Blaster I got 2 days ago for $100 and asked her if she wanted it or should I build it to sell? She gto really excited and of course wants it.

Hahaha, I would have given that Warrior to her and bought the X back! LOL!!! Yeah, buddy, those old Hondas are the cat's nuts. Just a bear to kick over if the decomp cable isn't adjusted properly, or you have really high compression (like mine).

If you are wanting to make lots more power the CWR big bore is the way to go. I believe Greg's kits are 12:1, but he may be able/willing to shave some meat off the piston to lower the comp to a more pump gas friendly number. You can also use a thicker head and/or base gasket to lower compression, too. CWR also has two cam grinds available for the Warrior. You just send him your stock cam and he hardwelds & regrinds it.

Ok, broke the motor down on the warrior today, motor is good, an idiot took it apart previously and stripped every screw there is in it, not a problem though, got a stainless set for it, just gotta be carefull. Carb was full of blue silicone. Also, gaskets were missing or blown out and they again used **** ton of blue silicone.:loco:
Anyways, buying timing chain guides and that's it, bolting it back together. It was not bored to 366, it is still the standard bore. The valves were way over adjusted though. The previous owners did not know how to work on motors no matter what he claims. Lol

Threads are good, it was just the heads. Wrong tool and they aparantly didn't give up. I got em all out after a little finesse. Did however have to chase the frame after I got it back. Should be picking up the rest from powder coating tomorrow, if so, will post some pics.

Well, got back in the state last night, picked everything up so far except the motor. Time for the jig saw.

Attachments

• 20150407_203821.jpg
    20150407_203821.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 33
Man, I really need to get this thing put back together... Work has been insane, never have a moment since I got it all back. Middle of my living room, every piece. Wake up, walk past, go to work, get home, walk past, shower, then bed... Need a day off...

Man, I really need to get this thing put back together... Work has been insane, never have a moment since I got it all back. Middle of my living room, every piece. Wake up, walk past, go to work, get home, walk past, shower, then bed... Need a day off...

I'm with you there.. I bought a ice project warrior a few weeks ago... haven't even done a thing to it since picking it up. but so far youre doing great, good build!

Back