Goodbye to an "old" friend

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frit91

Reaction score
Welp, today is a bittersweet day for me. Today I say goodbye to my 87 warrior. I never really thought of selling her but I was out riding and a guy stopped me and asked what it would take for me to sell it. So I threw out a number I thought was ridiculous, and he said he'd be back in a while with the cash. And that som bitch came back with the amount I said. He's coming back to pick it up today. Now what the hell am I gonna do with myself? I got a few ideas. One includes a warrior roller and a slightly bigger crotch rocket engine, by slightly I mean at least a 750. Yfz has crossed my mind. But whatever I decide there is one thing that needs to be said. And that is THANK YOU to everyone who has sold me parts, offered advice and just plain told me what to do to fix the issues I was having. You are all great people and I can't properly express my thanks to you all. So goodbye to the "Ole War Whore", I'll miss you buddy.

Welp, today is a bittersweet day for me. Today I say goodbye to my 87 warrior. I never really thought of selling her but I was out riding and a guy stopped me and asked what it would take for me to sell it. So I threw out a number I thought was ridiculous, and he said he'd be back in a while with the cash. And that som bitch came back with the amount I said. He's coming back to pick it up today. Now what the hell am I gonna do with myself? I got a few ideas. One includes a warrior roller and a slightly bigger crotch rocket engine, by slightly I mean at least a 750. Yfz has crossed my mind. But whatever I decide there is one thing that needs to be said. And that is THANK YOU to everyone who has sold me parts, offered advice and just plain told me what to do to fix the issues I was having. You are all great people and I can't properly express my thanks to you all. So goodbye to the "Ole War Whore", I'll miss you buddy.

Wow what a story. Hopefully a good home. Rather you might be gone for a lil' while, you wont leave the scene :iagree:
keep us posted on the new toy. :atv:

that sucks frit but then again if someone offered me enough mine would be gone to so i dont blame you bro,, good luck with whatevers next man..

Now it just gives you a better base plan like you said'' Ideas through the roof. Im sorta in the same boat, Im not gonna sell either of my quads but im getting ready to buy another and dread/love all the work and cash im gonna put into it.

Hope you got damn good money, I'd never sell mine without it and maybe still not. lol Good luck with finding your next purchase. Maybe a 2nd gen or a YFZ.

Quite a story! Don't overlook the KFX450R! What did you sell it for? If you don't mind my asking.

I bought it for $200. Long story but all that needs to be said is the guy I got it from shouldn't have told me his life story and how broke he was and how bad he needed money and that his wife booted his ass out and so on. But he did and I showed him no mercy. I put about another $450 in it and got it to its present stage. And I doubled my investment when she went bye bye. Been thinking my next toy needs to ride smoother. I broke my back years ago, had 3 rods put in it a few years ago and the warrior just beat the **** outta me when riding it so I may end up with a nice plush riding wheeler, even though I kinda like going fast. Gonna take some time and figure out what I need but I do see myself building another warrior in the future. I believe that the warrior is just too much fun to fix up. Easy to work on and still damn nice looking rides and parts are reasonable for them. I aint going anywhere. I still want to see what y'all are building and build up my idea bank for the next project.

I hear the Polaris outlaw 500 IRS is a very smooth ride. If you still want to go fast

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I hear if you setup a 2nd gen suspension and dial in your shocks to your weight they ride like night and day. I don't have first hand experience on a warrior though.

It didn't take long to find something to keep me occupied. My son bought a basket case polaris 300 4x4. I know its not a yamie, but it will keep me from going nuts I guess. On a good note, my neighbor is turning me loose with his 2002 warrior soon to make it a little more reliable and nicer looking and faster, but he doesn't know about the faster part yet. I may get to do a "lipstick on a pig" build before too long.

Me personally, I don't like the new 4x4s from any mfg. They are all big and bulky. I think that any of the new 450s would be the ticket. Particularly the YFZ, in the suspension department. I know the KFX is pretty damn nice, but, I've heard that the seat gets hard after a while of riding. Honda has always been known for making very well balanced, comfortable quads, and both the 450r and 400x are damn good bikes.

Pat you are exactly right about the seats, They are thin, Im 225 pounds full gear and my ass always hurt, if I didn't have to let it go back I was gonna get a thicker seat like most guys do. YFZ's seat are pretty thin also, But me personally I would go for a 450, 660 or 700 raptor.

Yeah Weston told me how thin it was. I've sat on one, and noticed how thin the seat is. I wonder if Cosmic Quads makes a desert seat foam for it??? I'd honestly go with a 400ex/x over the 450s. Proven durability, easy to mod, cheap to mod, super comfortable, etc... The Z400 is my next choice.

Got an update here. Currently going thru an xplorer 400l 4x4. Needs some tlc but I think it will turn out nice. The update part is that my neighbor/friend is kinda jealous and I think I may be smelling a trade for his 02 warrior coming soon. Maybe if I spend some money on suspension my back will be able to tolerate it.

I know mine is a lot better since I upgraded the suspension. The pros says suspension first, power upgrades second. Wish I would have done suspension first.

Yeah Frit, do suspension mods! My knees are pretty rough, and with the Banshee rear shock, Works dual rate AT Steelers up front, my +2 arms, +4 axle, and +2 swinger I can beat the hell out of it for 3 days on the Hatfield McCoy trails, and I'm able to walk at the end of the day! Also, get some stock Rappy 350 foot pegs on there. They are lower then the Warrior pegs, are wider, set back a bit, thus giving a much better angle for your knee. You wont be scrunched up. Another area for improving is the seat. Contact CosmicQuads and see if they make a "desert" seat foam and cover kit. That there will help to lessen the scrunched up angle of your knee and should provide a more plush ride. Lastly, the handle bars. Taller bar height will keep your shoulders from being "pulled down". You can either extended the steering stem (I added 2.75" to mine) or you can get taller bars in general. I've also found that less pull back (the angle that the bars are where you hold them) greatly reduces the steering effort of the bike. And, it gives you a better "reach" from your shoulders to your hands. Again, not scrunched up.

The only thing I have not done from the above list is the CosmicQuads seat. But, I did add 1" of foam to mine when I recovered it. And, boy did it help!

Last edited:
It is funny that you mentioned the comfort mods that you did because most of it is what my friend is complaining about. I will pass this on to him and let him pay for it before I try to work out a trade with him. The foot peg trick sounds great as I too have a bum knee. I did a number on it in the mid 80s and now it looks like half a softball under where my kneecap is suppose to be. The best part of these potential mods is I will be the one doing this stuff to his warrior since he is a little lazy and "scared" of tools. Thanks for the suggestions Pat.

I got a call from the guy that got my old 87 last night. I told him when he picked it up that I had a few extra parts laying around if he ever needed them. So he was calling to ask what I had so I asked what he needed. Apparently he was chasing a parked xp800 and caught it... wide open in 5th gear. Needless to say after he described the damage it is safe to assume that she is a junk pile now. Way to ruin my weekend asshole. Bright side is at least he walked away with only bumps and bruises. R.I.P. "War Whore".

Back