going OLD SCHOOL!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as timing goes, is it recommended to use a light or are the markings accurate enough. Where could I take it for valve work if that's the problem? I really have no idea on this stuff cuz I've never ran into problems like this before. The only other quad I had was destroyed when it was still running, so I didn't have to worry about fixing it. I really have no idea how to do any of the diagnosis stuff or anything. I've got a manual for it, and tools are easy enough to come by, I just don't know where to start. I have a decent mechanical knowledge in terms of knowing more than the average "I can change the oil" guy. I'm confident in my abilities, and not really afraid to give a wrench a turn, I just like to know where to begin. Any and all help on this aspect would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I'm going to have to year the engine apart for inspection, but should I do that on the chances that it could be valves? I know it never hurts to look at stuff when you don't know the condition to begin with, but is it worth the hassle? And when/ I do, should I replace parts with semi-performance parts or just go basically stock. Keep in mind this is an OLD utility, not a sport, and it is used as such. I do like going out on trails, but generally it is a "family" type ride due to age of machine and the fact that I have a bad back and can't do the hard stuff anymore.

Last edited:
No, you don't need a timing light. Pretty much, follow the manual. If it's a factory manual, get a Clymer manual. I could easily walk you through the timing procedure, however, I've done it so many times that I'm worn out from "teaching", lol. Also, even if I tell you how to do something, it is still best that you have the manual as a guide if you are uncertain, or need illustration. Although, if you really need it, I can get into depth on your problem.

I have the basic concept. TDC on compression strike, timing mark on cam gear, etc. just wasn't sure if timing light was needed to "get it right. The manual I have is a download of the Yamaha manual. It seems to be pretty in depth and good for my knowledge base.

On a side note, I'm looking at replacing the carb and am curious what everyone thinks. I've seen the name of zoom zoom out there and have found a new one for what seems to be a good price. What do ya'll think about these and how much should I pat for a new one? Are they easy to work with or finicky?

That's all there is to the mechanical timing. TDC, lobes down on cam, align cam gear's timing marks, install tensioner then install the spring and cap to push the plunger out against the chain's guide.

What is wrong with your current carb???

It's leaky as all get out, shits all corroded and I don't feel like spending the money to rebuild it just to find out it isn't fixed. I found a zoom zoom for 70 shipped, so figured "why not." But that'll come after I tear down to get it running.

Back