gas in the oil

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bickel76

Reaction score
well, i had a ton of gas in my oil. drained the oil and it had the thickness of water and there was about 5-6 quarts in it. i have noticed that the overflow drain tube from the carb was doing its job and after riding or whatever, there would be a few small drops of gas that came out of it. recently, i noticed that there is an oil leak on the back of the motor. its coming right from the buldge that looks like about the size of a 12oz coke can. i'm guessing that there has always been a slow leak there and having the gas in the oil, just made it worse. my questions are, is there anything that can be done about the leak without splitting the cases, and any ideas what to do about gas getting into the motor. i did just rebuild the carb and i'm waiting to get paid to put oil back in it and try it out. any advice?

I am no expert but I think when your getting gas in the motor it would be your rings going bad. Thats the only place I can think of that gas can get into your oil. As for the leak, best option is to split and reseal but you can probably get away with a quick fix. Try a gasket sealant that is oil proof, I use the Yamaha sealant they sell. Extreme measures for a quick fix could be a jbweld. If you ever need to split cases later, it should just grind down easy to the cases.

i am planning on putting the hotrods stroker kit in it, but didnt want to split the cases at this point in time. i was kinda thinking it might be the rings too but wouldnt it smoke?

another thing that i noticed. even though i had all that gas in the oil, when i put the carb back on, i did start it just for a sec to make sure it would start. then pulled the plug and did a compression check. compression is right where it is supposed to be.

That's weird. Although gas is alot thinner than oil, it could slip through. Do you have a hard time starting it? Could be that your putting sooo much fuel in the cylinder that it leaks down.

yeah, sometimes it is hard to start. you are probably right about the gas being able to get past the rings. i'm hoping that the problem was with the carb and that rebuilding it will have fixed the problem.

about the oil leak....i know splitting the cases is the way to go, but i would like to put that off. i'm also not crazy about using jb weld on it. i noticed that they had a different types of yamabond. i guess i will ask my yamaha dealer which one they suggest. it's just a slow leak, but a leak nonetheless.

Unless you flipped or wad'd the atv as to allow gas to dump into the cylinder, something else is wrong.

Yes, fuel will go right past the rings regardless of whether they are good or bad. A comp or leak-down can still be just fine.

How long since your last oil change (prior to discovering the fuel) ?

Did you rejet or tinker with the carbs at all?

If you didnt flip the atv, its most likely one of 3 things.....

1. The carb float is stuck, and gas is seeping into the cylinder while you have it put away (not in use).

2. The petcock has a leak, and is overloading the carb float, and again seeping into the cylinder while not in use.

(could be a combination of the above 2)

3. And lastly (and the least likely) Way too rich, and theres cylinder wash (i.e. unburned fuel is leaking past the rings/pistons into the case in between the ignition cycles). Usually you'll see some (or a lot of) smoking from the exhaust if this is the case.

Gasoline in the case can definitely destroy some types of case gasket material. You'll know if you start getting more leaks. Once its compromised, it keeps degrading even you remove the fuel from the case. I'm pretty sure Yamabond isnt typically affected by fuel (I prefer Hondabond for cases myself), but I'm not 100% sure if thats what they use on the 350 cases.

Hope that helps.

u have dirt in the neddel and seat thats the prolbum gas is leaking throught the carb and filling the bowl up and its floodign into the cyclinder and its parring the rings and going into the oil clean the carb and make sure the neddel is good not all messed up and bad if it is bad get a new neddel and thia is what should be ring with it

we were thinking that the float has been sticking. that is why i hope rebuilding the carb will fix the problem. i dont have the money to put oil back in it yet so i wont know for sure until friday. if i'm still getting gas in the oil, i might have to get into the habit of shutting the gas off after each ride. i dont like a temporary fix to a problem though. we will just have to do some more troubleshooting if i still have the problem. maybe an edelbrock is going to be bought sooner than i planned on.

I had the same thing happen to me but my airbox was also full of gas. Turns out my Gas valve had a leak and the gas was just flooding out the carb.

Put on a new valve and there has never been gas in my oil since. You should always turn off your gas when its parked anyway.

i will look over everything to see if there are other problems. i appreciate everyone's input. hopefully, if i still have problems, it will be an easy/cheap fix.

how can you check the valve? just unhook the end of the hose after the valve and see if it is leaking, i assume

i will look over everything to see if there are other problems. i appreciate everyone's input. hopefully, if i still have problems, it will be an easy/cheap fix.

how can you check the valve? just unhook the end of the hose after the valve and see if it is leaking, i assume

Yup, just disconnect the hose, and empty the fuel from the hose. Then keep an eye on it for a while. If the petcock has a leaking seal, it will drip, but it may take some time.

u have dirt in the neddel and seat thats the prolbum gas is leaking throught the carb and filling the bowl up and its floodign into the cyclinder and its parring the rings and going into the oil clean the carb and make sure the neddel is good not all messed up and bad if it is bad get a new neddel and thia is what should be ring with it

Holy **** Dude.... that gave me headache reading that...

Are you drunk/stoned? Or is english not your native language? (asking seriously)

its the neddel and seat in the carb thats the prolbum with it how u fine it is to get a new neddel its like 5 bucks i belive u no the neddel thats connect to the float and blocks gas from passing in to the bowl if u notice the tips of certion ones are rubber on them the rubber wears out after a while or dirt getis on it and scratches it and makes a passage for fuel to pass by u just need to replace the neddel in the carb and that will fix the prolbums of the carb fludding with fuel

its the neddel and seat in the carb thats the prolbum with it how u fine it is to get a new neddel its like 5 bucks i belive u no the neddel thats connect to the float and blocks gas from passing in to the bowl if u notice the tips of certion ones are rubber on them the rubber wears out after a while or dirt getis on it and scratches it and makes a passage for fuel to pass by u just need to replace the neddel in the carb and that will fix the prolbums of the carb fludding with fuel

Heh.... ouch, my head ;)

The needle-valve is part of the float assembly, hence the "stuck float" advice. Its pretty rare for the valve to get stuck open by having debris in there (the valve port specifically). Anything large enough to do that, wouldnt normally be able to get by the fuel-strainer in the tank... if the strainer is damaged, he's got bigger problems. Usually on Mikuni CV type carbs, the float cage is just binding in the bowl (if its not the petcock causing the problem).

No amount of sediment in the gas is going to scratch the valve port enough to make a channel for fuel to get by.

Based on what he's said, the petcock is the more likely culprit right now. We'll have to see what he finds when he pulls it apart.

well, i havent put oil in it yet, but when we drained it, we had it up on the jack and rocked it back and forth to try and get all of it out. after doing that, there wasnt any gas coming out of the drain tube like it used to. i'm hoping that i get my disability check today so that i can put oil back in it and try it out. hopefully i rebuilt the carb right and wont have to mess with that other than the idle. i appreciate everyone's input on the matter. also, i took some gas and oil sealent and put it on the back of the motor. i figured since there isnt any oil in it, now is the time to try and seal it up for the time being. anyway, thanks again guys.

well look at the broght side of havign the gas in the oil your bottom end is a little cleaner lol but hope u did not run it like that cause that will cause sever bottom end dammage hope all goes well

put oil in earlier today. so far so good. having some problems with the carb though. made a post about it.............i'm not sure how long there was gas in the oil. i hope it wasnt in there too long.

Back