Fuse keeps blowing

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotsauce

Reaction score
Ok so I was riding my warrior around the yard and everything was fine. I pulled up to my shed and turned it off. Went back 2 min later and it wouldn't crank. I mean nothing, not even the solenoid click. DEAD. So I jumped the solenoid with a screw driver and it fired right up. Well the 15Amp fuse was blown in the rear, so I replaced it and as soon as I turned the key it popped again. Now I have not done anything to it since the last time I rode. Could this be a ground problem somewhere?

yeah it sould be a ground, sounds like a wire grounding out somewhere. Your going to have to trace all your wires and make sure there isn't any bad spots.

It sounds like it mine would do that I never found a bad ground but when I turned my head light on I would kill the motor nomatter if I was moving or not so I put a 20 amp in it have yet to have problems I think that's just a flaw thet they run to small of fewses but I might be wrong electrical ain't really my thing

Look for obvious rubs in the loom, at first. If you find a spot where wires are rubbing on the frame or something thats very possibly the spot. It should be an obvious spot, if its blowing them quickly.

It sounds like it mine would do that I never found a bad ground but when I turned my head light on I would kill the motor nomatter if I was moving or not so I put a 20 amp in it have yet to have problems I think that's just a flaw thet they run to small of fewses but I might be wrong electrical ain't really my thing

You should really look more in to that man. Ive burnt up wires doing that when I was younger. Both my warriors have the factory size fuse and no problems. you definatley have a problem some where.

Thanks for the help. Looks like ill be spending tomorrow evening finishing removing my plastics and tracing wires. thnx for you guys help.

There has to be a wire touching something and shorting out, but why it only does it when its turned off is weird.

Ok so I striped all the plastic and the gas tank tonight. I went over all of the wires; there are no rub marks or anything. Checked all of the grounds and everything is tight. So I took my multimeter and did a continuity test on the wires coming from the Key switch, and all of them tested good. Now like I said before the fuse is only blowing when I turn the key, before I ever touch the start button.....any other suggestions?

You could cheat, and shut it off in the dark. Tape of the fuse so you can't see it, and look for a possible spark.

I deal with electricity day in and day out, and I flat HATE looking for shorts.

You could also unplug different circuits one at a time, and rule it out that way as well.

That was gonna be my idea, does this happen with the bike off, and by just turning the key on and off? Then wonder if it is the key switch thats shorted out.

I believe I have a different ignition switch on my 87... but when i turn it all the way to run it is possible to go past the "run" position as if i was cranking a car...every time i do that it blows my fuse ... its not same prob as you.. but it def shows that a funky ignition switch could do it ... maybe you can take the ignition switch out of the loop and wire it direct to hot...then slide a good fuse in and see if it blows right away..

I have checked the wires that run from underneath the hood to the back of the quad with a multimeter. The key switch was unplugged up front when I was doing this. And yes the quad is off not running. I put a fuse in and turn the key and it blows. How would I test the actual key switch? Also I can turn the key and jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver and it cranks. I turn the switch off that the quad shuts off...........

Last edited:
UPDATE. So I spent the better part of 3 hours last night going over the wires again. unplugged everything and started over buy plugging in one thing at a time, well it cranked and ran. rode around for a little bit and everything was good. As soon as I his the headlight switch it blew the fuse again. Put another in and it started right up. So I guess my problem is in either my lights or the headlight switch.

Back