full throttle sputter?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20warrior00

Reaction score
when im at full throttle it sputters as if there was a rev limiter, the bike is jetted pretty much perfect the plug is a brownish/tanish color. I did notice the exhaust leaks a little where it connects to the head would that cause it?

It sounds to me that the main jet isn't as perfect as you think, that's about the only thing that could be causing sputtering only at WOT. Plug colors are an ok reference, but you can't completely base your jetting on that anymore. Fuel has changed so much in the last 10 years with all the additives to make it burn cleaner that it can be really difficult to get a spark plug to take any color at times.

The exhaust leak shouldn't affect it like that but you should get it fixed anyways, the leak will have minor effects on the jetting because of the change in flow and backpressure. Most likely one of the nuts that hold the header to the head is loosening up. However, if it seems like it's seized and doesn't want to turn, don't force it. The exhaust studs become extremely brittle from all the heat cycles they go through and if they get siezed up they will most likely snap off instead of break loose unless you soak them in some pb blaster for a couple days and heat the nut up with a torch before you try to loosen it. Once you break off a stud in the head it becomes a much bigger project than fixing an exhaust leak.

20warrior00 said:
is it anything to worry about as far as hurting anything untill i get around to fixing it?

I modifed my above post before you posted this one, take a look at that.

But no, it shouldn't hurt anything as long as you're not riding it at that wide open throttle where it's sputtering. As long as you keep it in the low and midrange where it's happy you won't be taking much of a risk, but pinning it at wide open throttle with bad jetting is just asking for a burnt piston or valve.

okay i wont be goin full throttle anytime soon then, but i got another question i was out driven it yesterday and it just quit wouldent fire switched the coil still nuthing used the one that i just took off it again then it started working again, got it to fire up but was sputtering anything past half throttle and sometimes quit , parked it for about an hour then tryed it again and it worked fine?

Sounds to me like your jetting is deff. off or you got some dirt or gunk in the carb bowl. By chance, they any smoke when your at WOT?

Back