front rims offset

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

courchaine

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying some new front rims ans I was wondering what offset I should get ??? I don't even really know what is the offset of a rim

Max

Wheel offset, for lack of a better description, is how far offset from the center of the wheel the mounting point is. It's measured by the inside dish x the outside dish, so a wheel with a 4 inch inside dish, and the outside 1 inch would be a 4+1 offset.

This might explain it better
offset.gif

What offset you choose is your decision. I believe the stock wheels are sort of an odd width and offset, when I measured them I think they were something like 4.5+1.5. I could be wrong with that.

The deeper the dish is on the outside of the wheel, the wider your front end will be. You have to be careful about widening your quad this way, wider isn't always better. With offset wheels you have the side effects of bump steer from the extra leverage a higher offset will add, as well as the extra leverage making your shocks weaker, and putting more stress on bearings and ball joints.

3+2 is the widest i'd go, or go with the 4+1 if you're not concerned with increasing your width.

Thanks a lot Yamarider. Very good explanation. I just have to make my choice now. Do you have any experience with the ITP T-9 series ?? or if i go with Douglas what label color should I choose.

thanks

Max

I run ITP T9 pro's on the front of my warrior (3+2's). They're lighter than stock, and so far they're holding up good for me. You just have to polish them about once a year to keep them looking good, they're not clearcoated like the stock wheels, so they can look a lot better, but if you don't maintain them, they can end up really dull looking.

If you get douglas wheels, I'd say get the red labels. They're a .190 like the t9's. Anything less than .190 is taking a chance with bending if you ride trails.

Back