Flipping stock rims???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamexileracing

Reaction score
K well i tryed to flip my stock rims and what i thought would happen happend. The air purges to fill the tiers hit the brake calipers. What do i do about this because i see people have there rims flipped on here.

i had the same problem.
i just got some flush mount valve stems off ebay for 10 bucks, set of 4. they look sweet too. ill try to find a link for you.

You have 2 options. Flush mount being the easiest like already described, the downside of the flush mount stems is that you have to take your wheel off to put air in your tires. That would be a serious inconvenience if you had a tire with even a slow leak in it.

What I had done to mine before I got a-arms takes a little bit more work, really only a little more, and you end up with the valve stem on the outside of the wheel where it can be accessed like you normally would. You have to break the bead to install the flush valve stems anyways, so i'd recommend spending the extra 10 minutes to do it my way, and save yourself some hassle in the long run.

What I did (actually what the local shop suggested and did for me) was to flip the original valve stem, so the valve part is actually inside the wheel, where it won't hit the caliper. Then you drill a hole on the other side of the wheel and install a new stem, valve outwards like normal.

Then you end up with this:

Original valve stem, reversed
6deb296b3da99ee5bccfbb38d0a9bf65.jpg

Newly mounted stem on opposite side of wheel
fb53ce4429343a3ea81c38127e7763a8.jpg

if i could do it again i would do it like yamarider just described, because it is a pain in the ass to check tire pressure, which i do every ride. im getting some new front wheels and tires at some point and thats the method im going to use, because im not going to invest in extended a arms on this machine.

i dont want to hijack your thread teamexileracing, but does anyone know if douglas makes their .190 wheels with an offset?

Actually, you don't have to take your wheel off to fill with air. Just rotate the tire till the screw in valve stem clears the caliper, no big deal. Also, the cheapest place to get flush mounts is Summit Racing. $5 for a set...

i dont want to hijack your thread teamexileracing, but does anyone know if douglas makes their .190 wheels with an offset?

Yeah im pritty sure because i cant remember but i think 93warriorridr has them they are the same with as a regular rim but they looked like fliped rims and the air fill is on the outside so im pritty sure thats what your looking for. O ****.......nvm he has the ITP T9's, forget everything i just said. hahahahah im retarded.

I did what yamarider did but I welded the old hole shut. My only big advice is to watch your tierods and ends, mine are really taking a beating since I flipped my rims.

the wheels have extra leverage against the ball joints/ tierods when they get flipped. extended a arms shouldnt make them fail, they need proper tierods to go with them.

4 years, 3 wrecks, many tree hits, and the famous rutted out PA trails roots and ruts, and im still on my stock tie rods and they are as straight as can be.

Something ive come to realize is that you have to give with the bumps, like people get all stiff and stuff when they know they are going to hit a ditch or catch a rut or tree root, thats what bends tie rods. Also dont force your wheels to do something unless you have too. I dont see how people bend so many tie rods, mine have honestly taken most likely the worst beating on this site and they still have no play and are completely straight. I bent a complete frame the the point of not being able to be used anymore, rolled down hills, jumped and landed on 1 front wheel, my tierods are invincible. haha

My freaking motor is invincable, 18 years strong and no work done to it except the ocasional oil filter and oil change. Ive broke more things on me then that thing has and its 2 years older them me....hahahaha.

Just remember the story I keep telling about breaking two tie rod ends in the same day with flipped wheels. Snapped them like twigs. The first one, I cross threaded what was left back into the tie rod just so I could keep riding since I was out of state. The second one snapped a short while later. Some people get lucky, some don't. If you beat the crap out of the thing they're going to bend or break. There's no way around it, they're the cheapest, worst designed tie rods/ends in the industry.

I'm the same, I beat the piss out of my Warrior in ruts, misjudged landings, rolled it hard once, tree roots, you name it. 3 years, stock tierods. Straight as an arrow. I bent my stem a couple of times though :-/ I am getting a steering damper because clipping something at 40= sprained thumb for me, and a bad day to follow. But I am worried about my tierods if I do put a damper on it.

Back